Chapter 36

Chapter 36

Sitting across the table in a corner of the backyard of the Trivedi house, Jwala spoke in a harsh tone to her eldest daughter Nidhi, "Are you telling us that you have chosen a CBI officer for yourself?"

Nidhi shrugged her shoulders. "I have and I will be becoming his wife. Don't you both know that I want to marry a charming guy, someone who can make me smile. I've found my dream man in Arjun. Though I haven't told him about my feelings because I know winning his heart will need time, but I do have taken his phone number using a prank."

"Prank?" Kunwar said angrily.

"Dad, I was with Vidya for the past couple of hours and found Arjun's phone number in her cellphone. I will contact him after I return home. For the time being, I'll have to befriend him." Nidhi chirped happily.

Jwala banged the table lightly, gritting her teeth. "You aren't doing anything as such. I can't permit you to get hooked to some policeman. Your dad and I have always told you to find a rich guy for yourself but you wouldn't."

Nidhi raised her voice, "So what mom? He is in the CBI, he has money and stays all by himself. I don't even have to look after his family or do household works after marriage. What else do you both need?"

Kunwar intervened, narrowing his eyes at Nidhi, "Nidhi! You know very well what my businesses are. Are you planning to get your parents exposed of their wrong doings and put them behind bars by bringing a police personnel into the Patel house?"

"No dad, do you think you are so weak enough to commit anything and leave evidences behind? If you didn't get caught since the time you started your business, what are you scared of? I need Arjun in my life and I will win him some day," Nidhi said with determination.

"Is that your final decision?" Jwala uttered in a crude voice.

"Yes mom, I am two hundred per cent sure. Have I ever gone crazy earlier for any guy? I haven't, so mark my words this time." Nidhi widened her eyes.

Jwala gritted her teeth once again before uttering, "If you are really going into this, we will not think twice before throwing you out of the house. In no way a policeman can be a part of the Patel family!"

Flinging her chair away and banging the table, Nidhi stiffened her arms. Bending over towards her parents, she spoke in a little raised voice, "Like the way you threw Vanya out of the house? She was a coward as she didn't give a fight, she embraced her defeat and left quietly."

Wiping the sweat off her forehead, Nidhi added, "But.... But I'm not like Vanya. I know very well how to rebel and get what is mine. Don't forget that I know many things about all your wrong doings but, I stay quiet because I live in comfort. If you think of throwing me out, I will not mind narrating every single truth to Arjun or his team!"

"Nidhi!" Jwala slapped her. "Haven't I warned you not to utter Vanya's name again? She was a black spot to the family, a worshipper of truth and an idol of honesty. Dare you utter her name again!"

"Mom!" Nidhi shouted back, rubbing her cheek. "You raised your hands on me! It's going to work like an energy booster now. I will get married to Arjun at any cost and you can't stop me ever. It's a swear!"

When Nidhi left the place in a fit of rage, Sanchi's grandmother reached their table, scrolling her wheelchair hurriedly. The old Mrs. Meenakshi Patel was suffering from severe paralysis to the left side of her body and couldn't use her left limb or arm properly.

"Did you hear what she said? She just changed her ways of talking to us in a matter of a few hours!" Jwala asked Kunwar angrily.

"Why wouldn't Nidhi be, Jwala? You have raised your daughter to be completely like her parents. Didn't she say earlier how she snatched the expensive dress she is wearing, from someone who had spoilt her dress accidentally? She's becoming just like you, Jwala. Now when she is beginning to rebel against you, it shouldn't hurt you much," Sanchi's grandmother interrupted, "But I'm happy for Nidhi. She's changing her ways for the best. If really she didn't, you both could have changed her mindset for the worst!"