Battle Hardened

Predator, Forager, Sharpshooter: K

Game after game, Sinon sharpened her skills until they were deadly like a razor. Under my wing she grew confident and smart in the rules of this new world. In no time, she forged her own identity. For me, this game was important and now that Sinon was aboard I knew she would see it that way as well.

"Hey K?" Sinon asked when we were both in the menu.

"Yes, my Sinon?" I responded, awaiting her inquiry.

"Couldn't we try this with the rest of our friends? Ones who would be good enough to survive?" Sinon proposed.

I pondered for a moment at her idea. The two most skilled players of the bunch came to mind.

"Actually... that may not be a bad idea." I nodded and agreed, thinking about the variety of possibilities.

"Kirito has played GGO before. He'll have no problem." Sinon assured me.

"But Asuna hasn't. Hmm..." I wondered more.

I sat alone in the menu analyzing the game map when Sinon quickly materialized from pixels.

"He's on his way." She nodded.

Sinon walked up and stood beside me in anticipation. After waiting for a few minutes, a male figure materialized from pixels. Once formed, we recognized the male as Kirito. He saw us and approached curiously.

"Good to see you two." Kirito stated.

"Likewise. Now, we're outnumbered in this game so we'll have to talk strategy." Just as I said that another figure materialized, this one being female.

It formed into Asuna.

"Asuna. I thought you didn't play games like these." I wondered.

"Well, I'm eager to learn! Besides, I need a new game to play." She said with a sure smile.

I nodded back in return.

"Looks like we have ourselves a full squad then. Now that that's out of the way, Sinon." I turned to her.

She looked to me and waited.

"You have fought valiantly by my side and have earned yourself a callsign." I told her.

"Callsign?" She tilted her head.

"I am callsign Wolf. Each worthy member of the squad earns themselves a callsign to be easily addressed by." I informed her.

"What is mine?" Sinon wanted to know.

"I give you the callsign: Lynx for learning and adapting quickly to this new environment around you. Wear that title proudly." I revealed.

Sinon's eyes began to shine a little bit.

"I won't let you down." She clenched a fist.

"You never will. Kirito, Asuna. Before we begin I must warn you, this is no normal game. We will be fighting for our own survival." I briefed them.

"Got any useful tips?" Asuna asked.

"My motto? See your enemy first. The element of surprise is a powerful one." I gave my advice.

In this game, I played by that statement. If you get the drop on your enemy, they won't know what hit them until it's too late.

"What do we do once we're boots on the ground?" Kirito asked.