After Dark

We all dropped into the world as the crack of dawn just barely broke with morning light. The team came together without a word once we landed and K got serious quickly.

"I know you had issues with this before Kirito, but this time I seriously need you all to listen closely to every order I give." K told us all.

"I'll be better this time. You have my word." Kirito put his hand to his heart and nodded his head.

"Good. Now believe this or not, I've actually never played this mode before." K revealed to us.

"Seriously?" Asuna asked.

"No way." I didn't believe it.

"It's the truth. Would you like to know something even more unbelievable?" K questioned.

"What?" I gave into curiosity.

"I created this mode." K said as the sun peeked over the horizon, creating an orange glow that painted the land.

The wind picked up and blew our hair as silence fell between us for a second.

"You... what??" I was extremely confused.

"How do you expect us to believe that?" Kirito genuinely asked while crossing his arms.

"Trust me, I was the first person to say that this game needed a day and night cycle. I suggested the idea to the devs countless times with ways to keep it fresh and balanced for everyone. Eventually, they added it into the game. And get this, they even pay me money for it." K was happy to tell us.

"Wow really? That's extremely lucky, K." I commended him.

"Game begins in thirty seconds." The announcer interrupted us.

"But I thought you said you've never played it before." Asuna tilted her head. at K.

"Oh, I haven't. But I was ready long before anyone else was." K cracked his knuckles and neck.

"So I take it you know all the best kinds of loot?" Kirito asked him.

"Dude, I've always known the best kinds of loot. I beta tested this game." K revealed another fact.

"You beta tested this game too? How can that be?" I asked genuinely.

"I pre-ordered the game to get access to the beta. I'm a long time veteran." K announced proudly.

"No wonder you know your way around it so well." I realized.

"What can I say, I was hyped for the release." K smiled and shrugged.

It was finally good to see his face after all this time. His eyes though... his vibrant purple eyes. They threw me for a loop.

"After Dark." The announcer called and the game began.

Predator, Forager, Sharpshooter: K

When our black vision returned, we were once again inside of a cargo chopper full of people. With the sun just now rising, the lights inside the chopper were still on to allow us to see.

"The sunrise will illuminate our flight path but once we're boots on the ground, the clock will start." I informed my team.

"Any particular location?" Kirito asked.

"That depends. Are you the kind of people who thrive in the shadows like me?" I grinned.

"Well, with our new attire I'm sure we'll catch on quickly." Kirito assured me.