If Only I Could

Introvert, Nerd, Artist: Kieran

I awoke to familiar bedsheets and a room that was different from my own. When I looked over this time however, Shino wasn't next to me. I panicked slightly and got up out of bed. When I peeked out the doorway, I saw her preparing breakfast for both of us. Just as I thought to approach, Shino began to sing. I stopped dead in my tracks.

"Stronger than a brick house, bigger than the moon and brighter than the stars. If I could move the mountains, I would've known who you are. Cuz I've been looking for a way to get lost in your eyes, tryna to find my way in this chaos. If I could walk on water, I could have known who you are." Her singing voice was harmonious.

She hummed more of the song as she worked. I took a step forward as she took a breath to sing the next part.

"Faster than a race car, sharper than a knife and higher than the trees. If I'd shown you what I'm made of, you would have seen into me." Shino looked up and at me when I sang the low tones with her as she sang the high ones.

She looked into my eyes with a smile and I smiled back. Suddenly a pain shot thru my cheek where I was cut. I winced and put my palm over the bandage.

"Are you okay?" Shino rushed over, more concerned about me than the food she was making.

I smiled and shook it off.

"It's okay. Don't worry about me." I encouraged her to keep cooking.

I went and slowly sat down as Shino placed the food on plates. Once she set the food in front of me, she sat down and watched me eat with her hands folded. I hesitated but I ate and looked at her.

"Aren't you going to eat too?" I asked.

"Later. You need energy so your wound can heal." Shino smiled and looked to my bandaged cut.

"Oh yeah, it should be a bit better today." I rubbed my wound softly but even the slight amount of pressure caused it to sting.

I winced and froze.

"Maybe don't touch it until after you're done eating." Shino showed me a worried smile.

She didn't want me to hurt myself but she wanted me to heal. I finished eating my breakfast and Shino kindly took my plate. When I stood up from the table she looked at my bandages and smiled.

"Let's take a peek, shall we?" Shino encouraged.

She led me to the bathroom and we looked at each other side by side in the mirror. I was tall next to Shino but we were cute together. I hadn't noticed until seeing the reflection.

"I'll help you." Shino smiled and slowly went to undo the bandages.

I winced in pain a few times but Shino stayed calm. Once they were off, I got a good hard look at myself. I looked closely at first and said nothing. It was still red and well defined but it had stopped bleeding.

"Well...?" Shino didn't like the scary wound.

I cracked a smile and ran my middle finger gently down it.

"I love it." I smirked with determination.

"You what??" Shino was confused.

I was cut and almost killed. I had the nerve of saying I loved my wound. She must have thought I had lost my mind completely. I turned to her with a sure smile.

"Are you kidding?? I've always wanted a face scar in real life! I always put it on my avatars because I thought it was so cool!" I smiled at myself in the mirror, looking closer again at the scar.