Unspeakable Loss

With a great struggle, I pulled apart the large double doors and made way for the others to come thru. As the doors became open, the pure light of Alfheim shined in and with that, a bridge made of solid light was formed in front of us to walk on. The girls eagerly rushed over in excitement but lacked patience.

"Is this it?" Lizbeth looked below at the bridge made of energy.

"No. There is much more than that." I assured her and looked ahead at a bright white light.

The others looked to see as well and squinted at it.

"Is that...?" Leafa sparked with excitement.

"A new world!" Kirito smiled and charged ahead of everyone.

"Come on!" He beckoned them as he rushed.

"Hey! No fair!" Asuna giggled and chased after them.

"Wait! You must be careful!" I tried to warn them.

"Sorry, Daddy!" Athena flew out of my pocket and chased the others.

I was hesitant at first to advance but I had no choice now. I quickly followed close behind and watched as they disappeared into the light. Blinded by it, I covered my eyes and stepped within it. I couldn't see anything. Blur came first before my eyes were able adjust to the overwhelming brightness. When it died down, I bared witness to a calm world of sprinkled snow and colourful forestry. Vast mountains and beautiful rivers. Wondrous lakes and ranging valleys. Brightly lit skies and cold mist along the horizons. It was truly a sight to behold.

"Holy cow!" Leafa marvelled at the land before us.

"It's so pretty!" Silica exclaimed adorably.

"Way different from Alfheim." Lizbeth noticed.

A flock of birds chirped and flew as a V overhead. It was a sign.

"Guess that means it's time to fly." Asuna smiled.

"You got that right. Come on everyone! It's time to take to the skies of this brand new world!" Kirito stepped forward and pressed on his chest to activate his wings.

This time however, they didn't appear. Kirito looked at his back and noticed that his wings did not deploy. He was confused.

"What happened? I don't understand." Kirito was dumbfounded.

"It would seem that fairy wings require the light of Alfheim to manifest." I concluded, figuring the lack of flight had something to do with this realm.

"You can't be serious." Lizbeth was annoyed with the idea of walking everywhere.

"No flight, huh?" Kirito pondered.

"Perhaps not for you." I spoke aloud.

The group turned to me as Athena came out and grew to her full size next to me. Without even needing to speak, I knew that our feathered wings were in the spotlight.

"Damn you for being awesome, K." Lizbeth shook her head with a smirk.

I chuckled and led the way forward.

"I shall fly only when I need to." I assured them.

"At least you didn't leave us behind." Lizbeth joked and the group followed.

As we walked, I felt the cold breeze wash over my body like a shower. With me being ahead, I opened my wings and stretched them as we traveled along an old stone path. With every inhale and exhale, I slowly extended and retracted my wings. Athena giggled next to me and copied with her own wings.