Squad Jam 5

"Welcome back, Squad Jammers! As a new addition to the normal bar and jumbo screen, we've implemented a whole other room packed full of various parkour objects to test your new abilities on! So what are you waitin' for? Get on in there and hop to your hearts content!" The girl was on a stage in front of the newly done bar.

Hayden and I both were actually looking around amazed at the redone building, bar, stage, booth seating and of course at other the end, the parkour room.

"This is crazy. They must have renovated the building." Digital pointed out as we moved behind the crowds.

"Seems like it." We spoke with our voice changers and face gear active.

As I'm sure you already know well by now, in the lobbies this is a fear tactic.

"Who the hell would want to test their skills before they play? I say we just figure it out when we start." A guy with sunglasses and a spiky blonde haircut spoke.

"Yeah, no kidding." His shorter friend agreed.

"Alright gamers! The game will commence in four minutes! Be ready!" The girl on the screen held up two peace signs and winked.

"We should probably test our abilities quickly before we get in there." I suggested, not liking the idea of lacking knowledge.

"Are you sure, K? We could just learn it when we're in there." Digital stood still.

"We have a quick four minutes to kill and I won't spend it standing around. So, yes. We're going." I started to walk backward but when I turned to storm off and lead the way, I bumped into a short girl with blonde hair.

I knocked her on the ground by accident and stopped dead in my tracks, not even realizing my own force.

"Ugh... What the hell, dude! Watch where you're-" The small girl looked up at me in my leather jacket, fingerless gloves and face covered outfit.

When I looked back, I recognized her.

"K???" She spoke before I even could.

"Fukaziroh???" I almost matched her speed.

"I shoulda known you'd be here in that badass getup." She smiled and I held out a hand to help her up.

"You know how I am." I let out a chuckle.

"You know her, K?" Digital asked.

"Yeah, this is Fukaziroh. She's a friend of Llenn's actually. I met her in the last Squad Jam." I helped her stand and she hugged my side.

Seeing how she's an old friend and I am currently looking to fill the void in my soul at the moment, I saw no harm in hugging her back. I simply just put my arm around her considering she wouldn't let go even if I tried to pry her off anyways.

"That Pink Devil girl?" Digital asked me.

"Yep. That's how we met." I nodded.

"Hey, now that I've run into you. Have you got room in your squad for one more? I was thinking we take out this whole competition together! That, and... I actually just came here alone." She admitted.

"I don't see why not." I shrugged and looked at Hayden.

"I don't know, K. Sinon definitely wouldn't approve of this." He crossed his arms and shook his head.

"Oh god, is she here?? She'll kill me if she catches me rubbing up on you!" Fukaziroh pulled away and looked around frantically.

"She's not here... Her and I are going thru a rough patch." I hung my head.

"Oh... I'm sorry, K. You know, I'm here if you ever want to talk about it." Fukaziroh got serious for a second.

She for some reason revealed a small hint of a more caring heart to me. I would normally expect comfort, but like this? From her? It was very odd to me.

"Yeah... thanks." I just looked down.

"Hey, I'm serious K." She put her hand on my arm.

"Get ready, gamers! The gun game begins in thirty seconds! Good luck out there!" The girl on the stage came back and shouted.

"You should probably join our party before the game starts." I spoke but didn't look up.

A moment of silence passed. I suddenly felt a hand grab mine tight and hold it. I looked quickly at her and froze.

"Fuka, you need to join the-"

"Players of Gun Gale." An all too familiar voice came over the screen.

Everyone in the room slowly turned to look at the jumbo screen as the countdown timer continued. The screen and lights around us changed to a blood red, and upon the display was the vengeful one himself.

"DeathGun..." I growled under my breath.

"You are all under the impression that you will come out of this alive. Pitiful. The weak will not survive this challenge, and it won't be any easier for the skilled. You see, I was inspired by another being of great power. One who created a world he controlled the fate of. I'm sure you know his name very well by now. He's the one who invented the Nerv Gear after all. Yes... Akahiko Kayaba. But his game was incomplete. Not of high enough stakes. Too weak, compared to my modernization of the Death game now. Hyper lethal weaponry, ranged combat and the unshakable paranoia of your own demise. It will be the ultimate test of strength. Make no mistake. There are no second chances. This is real. If you die in the game, you will die IRL." DeathGun finished.

The whole room shifted. Dread, horror and fear struck us all as the countdown continued. I felt Fuka's grip tighten harder on my hand.

"Are you serious??!"

"This is insane!!"

"This can't be possible!!"

People were screaming all over the place.

"...Can he really do that, K?" Fukaziroh looked back at me but I just stared blankly at the screen.

I started hear a ringing in my ears and whispers in my head. The memories flooded my head like a tsunami. Churning hurricanes of unforgivable hellish winds thrashed my mind as I lost myself in thought. It was Sword Art Online all over again.

"K? What's wrong man? Talk to me." Hayden came over and grabbed my shoulders.

I was already out of it. My mind was dissociated from my dormant body and I was elsewhere.

"Kayaba said 'Good Luck' to his little guinea pigs. Pfft. Just pray I don't find you." DeathGun cocked his pistol.

The beeping of the numbers began at ten and kept going down. The masses tried to leave the building but the doors were sealed shut. Crowds started to panic.

"Get me the hell out of here!"

"I don't wanna die for real!"

People cried on their knees. It reminded me of the panic that set in after Kayaba's announcement in the original Death game.

"K! Snap out of it!" Hayden shook me.

I just looked up at him. Instead of seeing Digital, my brain recreated the memory of Hayden's SAO avatar and I stared blankly at him. It brought in another flood of bad memories. I was in a fugue.

"Let the games begin." DeathGun cackled.