Chapter 5.

I unfreeze from my spot and grab Mason's arm, desperately trying to pull him off of Jacob.

"Stop! Mason!" I yell, continuing to tug on his arm, failing as his fist continues to swing at Jake—connecting to his face over and over. Each punch seeming more forceful than the last. Part of me wants to let him continue, I wouldn't mind having a swing at Jake myself—but the situation seems to be escalating and I know I need to stop him. Damn my fucking morals. 

Just as I successfully pry Mason from Jake's bloody face, he gets up from the floor and takes a swing at Mason. Mason dodges the punch and I see Jakes fist coming towards me.

Just as I freeze and close my eyes, waiting for the forceful punch—Mason pulls me back and we fall onto the floor. Everything happened so fast and I have no idea how Mason's reflexes worked so quickly, but I'm not complaining.
Since Jake missed both Mason and I, his fist smashes into the wall, creating a dent and bursting his knuckles, to go with his bloody—possibly broken nose and black eye from Mason.

I land on Mason's lap before standing up quickly, trying to work out what the fuck just happened. I've never seen a situation escalate so quickly. Mason cushioned my landing, but hit his head on the edge of his bedframe on his way down, it doesn't seem too serious, but he's gonna have a bad ass bruise.

I look to Jake who is holding his bloody nose, his eyes full of regret. Genuine regret, he looks like he may cry. I can't figure out how someone can do that and then feel so guilty afterwards.
I can't understand the mood swings. I cant understand any of it. I help Mason up and he looks like he may just charge at Jake again, so I stand in between them—I know this isn't over.

"What the fuck was that? You could've knocked her out!" Mason yells, pointing his finger at Jake, his voice was intimidating, and I'm just glad it wasn't directed at me.

"I wasn't aiming for her and you know it. You're the one that moved!" Jake retorts, his voice getting louder and louder with each word.

"You were out of line as soon as you yelled at her! She didn't do anything wrong!" Mason snaps.

It's like they're trying to see who can yell the loudest. I'm pleasantly surprised by Mason sticking up for me, although I know it's probably just in the heat of the moment. The two continue to insult each other and it's getting tiring—this isn't resolving anything.

"Shut up! Both of you!" I yell, throwing my hands in the air to silence them. I notice them both open their mouths to speak, but I cut them off.

"No," my voice raises, "Shut up, you've had your time to whine." I snap.

"Jake, you had no right to come in here and talk to me like a piece of dirt. I did nothing wrong. I was spending time with someone who is my friend." I silently cringe as the word friend crosses my lips when referring to Mason, I mean are we really friends? He doesn't strike me as the type of person to enjoy having friends, especially me.

"We went on one date, which quite frankly was awkward. I was ready to be friends—give you a chance at least, but after your violent outbursts, you can go to hell."

I don't think I've ever stood up for myself like that before, but it felt good. I guess I still had some of that anger after all, despite todays events.

I turn to Mason who seems to have a smug grin on his face.

"Ah, ah, ah. You aren't getting off that easily either." I glare.

"You shouldn't have beaten him up. I was angry too, but breaking someone's face isn't the answer, and look where thats gotten us. I could've ended up with a broken nose like Jake. But I appreciate you standing up for me. Although you both sounded like children. My four year old cousin could have had a more civilised discussion, with more integrity." I add, rolling my eyes. I was surprised that Jake stayed silent during both of my lectures, but I'm certainly glad.