Chapter 14.

The next morning at breakfast was awkward. I thought my mom would do her usual 'trying to suck up' routine but she didn't. She never spoke to me, not a word. She ate her breakfast and headed out to meet one of her friends, before going shopping. I'm sure it was a friend she made at her AA meetings—I don't know who else it could be. I made myself some pancakes and berries, they weren't as good as my mom's—but they'll do. My phone begins to ring against the marble counter, making me drop my fork onto the floor.

"Damn it!"

I shake my head and answer the call, picking up the fork.

"Hey, so I hope you're not busy, because my fucking roommate is beyond annoying." Mason grumbles through the phone and I hear Matt yelling in the background trying to defend himself.

"Poor Matt," I chuckle.

"I'm actually.. busy," I lie. "I don't feel well."

"What's wrong? Are you sick?" he asks.

"I don't know, maybe.." I twirl my hair around my finger.

"What's really wrong?" he sighs.

"Nothing.. I told yo-"

"And you're lying." he cuts me off.

"Even through the phone, you're a terrible liar." I can basically see the smirk on his face.

"Nothing, I just had a rough night with my mom, thats all." I admit.

"Okay, well if you want to.. you know, talk about it you can text me I guess." he mumbles into the phone, it sounds extremely insincere, but it really wasn't. He's just terrible at being.. nice.

"Thank you, I'll be fine." I reassure him as much as possible before hanging up.

I did want to see Mason today, I would see him every day if I could, but I don't want to confuse myself further. He confuses me, with his actions, which completely contradict what he says. I'm still reeling from the way he spoke to me, the way he sounded when he said my name, or the way his touch felt against my skin. It's strange. I decided to take a Mason free day, gather my thoughts. I try to call Jess to come over but she isn't picking up and now I'm officially bored.

I decide to play some music and get ready, something to pass the time. Maybe I'll go for a walk or something. Playing my upbeat music gets me in a slightly better mood; I put on some shorts and a t-shirt, its warm again today so I don't bother with makeup or straightening my hair since I know it'll be frizzy as soon as I step outside.

"Fuck." I mumble to myself, I forgot I have to finish my assignment for Mr Kingston's class. I gather my notes and sit down on my bed to finish when the doorbell rings.

The same man keeps appearing at the door trying to sell us knock off perfume, even though we reject him every single day. At least he's persistent, I guess that counts for something.

When I open the door Mason is standing with a white plastic bag in his hand.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, he was the last person I expected to find.

"Nice to see you too." he rolls his eyes, shoving past me and walking inside.

"Okay then." I shake my head and close the door.

"I know you said not to show up but, when do I ever listen to you?" he chuckles as he empties the bag onto the counter.

"What the hell is that?" I look at the ingredients he poured out in front of me.

"We're making our own pizza rolls." he shrugs.

"The store ones were obvioulsy dysfunctional." he huffs.