Chapter 45.

Elijah won the argument, of course. Mason is the most stubborn man I've ever met—but Elijah comes a close second. I had to quickly throw on a nicer outfit, but didn't even have time to straighten my hair or put on any makeup. I'm currently in the passenger seat with Elijah driving—while Mason sits in the back, brooding of course.

"Stop sulking." I eye him in the mirror.

"Me? You're sulking too." he scoffs.

"I didn't have time to do my hair, or put on makeup." I cross my arms.

"You don't need makeup," Elijah says under his breath, "Exactly, so stop sulking." Mason adds.

"Whatever."

—————

As we walk inside the restaurant, there is a long table in the middle of the room with all of our friends around it; Rebecca, Jess, Matt, even Jake. I take a seat across from the two girls where Mason joins me—Elijah being seated at the top of the table.

"This is the first time we've all had a genuine dinner together." Jake chimes.

"I wonder why," Mason scoffs, making me kick his leg under the table.

"Behave." I snap under my breath.

"Yes, ma'am." he chuckles, smirking with pride.

Surprisingly, the beginning of the dinner was nice. We ordered our food and laughed at stupid jokes, reminiscing on memories and exposing each other's embarrassing secrets to Rebecca. It was good to get my mind off things and spend some time with my friends. The food was amazing, I had never eaten here before, but I definitely will again.

"We should do this more often, all of us." Jake says innocently as he places his fork down.

"Right," Matt scoffs in a sarcastic tone.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Jake challenges, furrowing his brow.

"Oh, nothing. I think we all know."

"Guys, can we not?" Jess sighs.

"This is supposed to be a nice dinner, not a pissing contest between you two." Elijah whines.

"Tell him that," Jake scoffs, motioning towards Matt. "Oh, screw you."

"Guys!" I yell, slamming my hand onto the table—silencing everyone.

"This is supposed to be a nice dinner, for Mason. He started his new job today and that's what we're celebrating—can you put your issues aside for one night and grow the hell up." I rant, taking a deep breath. I watch as everyone looks shocked at my outburst, I guess I just needed to offload.

"Sorry." I sigh.

"No, you're right." Elijah shrugs.

"Exactly—thank you, Amara." Mason smiles, kissing my cheek.

Both Matt and Jake's eyes widen at his action, and as I scan the table; the rest looking pretty puzzled, too.

"What? Can't I kiss my girlfriend?" Mason says with hostility, a blatant attempt to stop his embarrassment showing. Sometimes I forget that people aren't used to Mason showing affection. There was a time where he wouldn't even smile at me or hold my hand in public—it all seems so long ago. I'm so used to the loving, affectionate Mason now that I forget nobody else gets to see that side of him.

"No, man, go ahead." Matt coughs awkwardly.

The rest of the dinner went well, there was no hostility, no passive aggression, no rude comments—just friends being friends. It was extremely refreshing to see everyone getting along, even Jake and Mason. I take a moment to enjoy how happy I am, with the most amazing boyfriend I could've asked for—despite his flaws, and a supportive, perfect group of friends—also despite their flaws.