Chapter 48.

My eyes bolt open to the noise of what I assume are footsteps, I sit up, listening intently—on high alert from the uneasy feeling that's been clinging to me. I jump slightly as I hear the noise again, as my feet hit the floor I tiptoe to the hall, listening closely to the source of the strange noise.

I debate on turning the light on, the darkness making me uneasy—but the light will only alert whatever is causing the noise of my presence. I make my way to the kitchen, where everything falls silent. I take a deep breath, sighing at my jumpiness. As I turn around to walk back into my room, I see a figure in the doorway, making me tense up and my stomach drop.

The light turns on, and I see... a shirtless Luke, standing with a glass of water in hand, looking as horrified as I am.

"Oh my god." I screw my eyes shut, feeling as though I'm intruding on something.

"Amara!" he gapes, embarrassment filling his features. "I'm so sorry."

"It's okay," I open one eye, "I just didn't know you were staying over."

"It was a... last minute decision." he scratches his head, both of us staring awkwardly around the room.

"I'm just gonna... go back to bed, okay?" I tug on my sleeves.

"Do you want me to go? I can le-"

"No, no. It's okay, really," I scrunch up my nose, "Let's just forget this happened."

"Yeah—goodnight, Amara. Sorry again." he smiles sheepishly.

I make my way back to my room, shuffling awkwardly past a half naked Luke and closing my door. I can't help but snigger to myself, I feel as though I just caught my teenage daughters boyfriend in my kitchen, only it's my mother.

Almost as soon as my head hits my pillow, I drift back off to sleep—content that there was no intruder, no mysterious figure—only my mom's bare chested boyfriend getting a glass of water.

—————

As I wake again I feel strangely refreshed, despite my 2am run-in with Luke. I feel lighter this morning, happier; I had an amazing time with Rebecca and Jess last night, it was fun to let go of worries with my friends. I decide to put on my favorite playlist and take a warm shower; the hot water feeling as calming as ever. I bask in the familiar scent of my sweet body wash, making the executive decision that today will be a better day—today is going to be free of worry.

I step out of the shower, wrapping a towel around my body and picking up my phone. I automatically dial Mason's number, I miss him already and it's only been a day—he drives me crazy, but I feel lost without him.

I end the call quickly, remembering he's working today. It's taking some getting used to, Mason working—I forget he isn't as available all the time. The only perk of him working with Jake is that it's less than a ten minute drive away. I smile to myself, why not surprise him at work? I'm sure it could perk him up a little—stop him from throwing Jake across the diner by his throat, perhaps.

As I arrive outside the diner it looks pretty packed, most of the tables are full and there are only a few spaces around the counter. I step inside, watching as Mason works away, it's insane to see him in a serious profession, I can't imagine it. I make my way over to the counter and take one of the last remaining seats, resting my elbows on the surface and my head in my hands—patiently waiting for him to notice.

"Damn, what does it take to get some good service around here?" I remark, a smirk plastered on my face. I watch Mason's head snap round at the sound of my voice and a smile tugs at his lips.