Chapter 13.

Amara's POV:

As the sun completely sets I let out a deep breath and smile. Things in my life still aren't great, but in this exact moment I feel okay. Even though my full attention was on the sunset I know Mason was looking at me. There's this strange unspoken tension. I know that he's aware of how I feel by now, and I'm wondering if I'm not the only one with feelings. But we both know we have to be friends, its weird.

"So, you liked it?" he smiles at me again.

"I did. Thank you for bringing me here, it was great." I return the smile and shiver, the temperature has dropped and I didn't even bring a jacket.

"Are you cold?" Mason asks.

"Yeah, a little."

"Wait, what happened?" his eyes widen as he looks at my scratched up arms from the gate.

"I'll never be a professional gate climber." I shrug.

"The gate? You did that trying to climb over the gate?" he continues to look at the cuts and scratches.

"Is it sore?" he crinkles his brow.

"A little, only when I touch it." I chuckle.

"I guess I was wrong, the gate definitely won this round." he shakes his head and smirks at me.

"Oh shut up. I wouldn't be too sure, I'm pretty sure I knocked some paint off there." I raise my eyebrow and point to my wounds.

Mason laughs and we decide to go back to the car, he basically lifts me over the fence himself this time, avoiding any more scratches and saving around twenty minutes.

"Do you want me to take you home?" he asks as he starts the car.

"Where else would I go?" I chuckle.

"Well, we could make those pizza rolls, eventually?" I can see the hint of a smile play on his face but he tries so hard to hide it, I wish he wouldn't. His smile is amazing.

"Sure, but I can't be too late, my mom thinks I'm with Jess."

As soon as I say it, I see the small grin on his face disappear, jesus Amara.

"You didn't tell her you were hanging out with me?" he asks, his eyes are fixed on the road and I can't tell the tone of his voice.

"No, I mean just last night I was crying over you, she probably wouldn't be happy about me seeing you the next day." I move the ends of my hair between my fingers.

"You cried over me?" his voice is less harsh than it was.

Fuck. Embarrassment floods over me as I try to find the words to explain myself.

"Well, no. I mean I did but only because I felt bad about, you know, I just-" I ramble, making no sense and Mason pulls the car over onto the side of the road. What is he doing? If this wasn't awkward enough, it is now.

He unbuckles his seatbelt and turns to look at me, placing his hand on the edge of my seat—not breaking eye contact. His eyes are both intense and inviting at the same time, I can't read him. I can never read him. It drives me crazy.

"What are you doing?" I stutter like an idiot and I feel my cheeks flush. This cannot be happening.

"Why were you crying, Amara?" his eyes stay focused on mine, his voice is slow and serious, and his accent is thick with the words he speaks. It's so attractive.

"I just.. I don't know I-"

"Lie." he cuts me off, his voice stays monotone and serious, but his eyes tell a different story.