Chapter 16.

"Can you.. stay here?" Masons voice snaps me out of my trance.

I think about it for a moment.

"What about Matt? And classes? I don't have clothes or my notes. I have nowhere to sleep." I ramble, although the thought of spending the night with Mason sounds amazing, its not practical.

"I don't think Matt is coming back tonight, he stays with his parents a few nights a week. I don't care enough to keep track of which days. I'll take you home to get some clothes and whatever you need, and you can sleep in my bed, or in Matt's bed if you're more comfortable." his voice is low and I feel guilty saying no. He just opened up to me more than he has anyone, and he's vulnerable. He just wants me to stay with him.

"Okay." I simply say.

"Really?" his face lights up a little and my heart melts further.

"Really." I smile.

"I'll take you home to get your things." he says, grabbing his car keys and walking towards the door.

Things seem to have went from one end of the scale to the other. One minute Mason and I hate each other, sort of. Then we become friends, then we kiss, and now I'm staying in his dorm room—I don't even know what we are. But for now, for once, I'm okay with that. I feel closer to Mason than ever, and although part of me is terrified of his secret, the other part of me wants to show him he can let people in without hurting them. I hope.

Mason seems tense in the car, as am I. There's a number of reasons why he could be tense, it's like playing a game of 'Guess Who' trying to figure out which is plaguing him this time.

"Can you park up the block a little bit? I can't tell my mom I'm staying with you, she'll freak." I tell him, praying he doesn't take it the wrong way, or explode at me.

Instead, he doesn't speak at all, he just drives past my house and parks around the corner. I can't decide if his silence is a good thing, or a bad thing. I step out of the car and walk to my place, my mom's car is in the drive and I really hope she doesn't give me crap for this, I'm really not in the mood—nor do I have the energy for one of her lectures.

"I'm staying at Jess' place tonight. You can call her and ask if you don't believe me." I say harshly as I walk inside and towards my room, I know if she calls Jess, she'll cover for me this time, as well as Jess' mom—she's extremely chill. I shove some clothes and pyjamas into a bag, and grab my things for class as well as my toothbrush, and other necessities.

"I'll see you tomorrow." my mom says, swirling what looks like wine in a glass as I look over. I sit my bags down and walk towards her.

"Is that wine?" I snap as I grab the glass from her hand and take a sip, watching her shocked expression—before it fades into an understanding one.

"No, it's non-alcoholic wine. It tastes like shit but it helps curve the cravings." she sighs.

She's right, it does taste like shit, but it also tastes like wine.

"Show me the bottle." I demand.

She pauses for a second.

"Seriously?" she exhales a sarcastic laugh.

"Yes, seriously." I sit the glass on the table and cross my arms as she goes to the kitchen, returning with an open wine bottle. I take the bottle from her and read the label.

"Non-alcoholic rosé."

"Okay." I embarrassingly hand her the bottle back before picking up my bags and walking to Mason's car. I feel guilty for not trusting her, but she really hasn't given me an option so far. And I can't help but feel that an alcoholic drinking fake wine isn't going to end well, it really did taste real—god only knows where she found it. It didn't taste like any other non-alcoholic wine I've ever tasted. I put my bags into the back seat and buckle myself into the passenger seat beside Mason.