Chapter 55.

My home had become the host to over 30 people eating cliché snacks and raising a glass to Carol—most of them haven't been around since I was a child, and the rest were friends from her own childhood; people she had told me about, yet less than a handful of them even checked on her during the pregnancy.

I watch carefully as my mom stands in the kitchen with a woman around her age, they went to school together from what I can hear of their conversation. I watch as she pours herself a drink, swirling it around the glass slowly as if considering not to drink it.

"Amara," I hear, making me turn around.

"Hey," I smile, Mason's presence making me a little calmer.

"I need to head back to Italy soon." he frowns slightly, wrapping his arm around my waist.

"I know," I nod, resting my head on his shoulder. I've been dreading it all day, it was a risk for him to even show up today—but I don't know what I would've done without him.

I watch as Mason's eyes follow my own, landing on my mom as she takes a sip—from the bottle.

"I'm sorry," he sighs.

"Me too." I mutter under my breath. I can't do this again, her falling off the wagon. I can't do it alone, without Carol. Steve has two children, a newborn to look after.

"Amara." I hear a chipper voice say, both Mason and I break our gaze from my mom.

"Joseph, hey." I say softly.

"So this must be the infamous boyfriend." he chuckles, reaching out his hand.

I watch as Mason's eyes flicker between his hand and his kind smile, "Mason, nice to meet you." he says, shaking his hand firmly. I'm pretty surprised by his lack of repulsion at the handshake, but I know he's trying to be on his best behaviour today. Plus, he may be just a little assertive.

"Joseph, it's nice to finally meet you—I've heard so much." he pats Mason's shoulder. I can see the confusion on Mason's face, I've never mentioned Joseph to him, I forgot all about him until today. Although, he is a large part of why I stood up for Mason and I's relationship. If Joseph hadn't found me that night and gave me the talk I needed to hear, that could have been the end of Mason and I altogether.

"I'm going to head home, long drive ahead," he sighs, "I'm sorry for your loss, again, Amara." he gives me a sad smile, squeezing my shoulder gently before heading out.

"Who was that?" Mason asks, his brow furrowed.

"I'll explain later," I sigh.

"My flight leaves in a few hours, Mar. I have to go." he brushes his hand against my cheek. I close my eyes, placing my hand on top of his and basking in the feeling of his kind touch for as long as I can.

I open my eyes and turn to the kitchen, where she sits. Bottle in hand. It's half empty now, it's only been a few minutes. I look around the room, everyone dressed in black, laughing, sharing memories. And I look finally to Isabella, who sits in the far end of the room beside Dahlia's bassinet, in her little black dress; alone.

"Hold on a second," I say, leaving Mason and making my way over.

"Hi," I say softly, taking a seat beside her.

"Hi," she smiles up at me, her eyes sad. She reaches up for me, climbing onto my lap.

"Are you okay, Iz?" I ask quietly as she lays her head on my chest, nuzzling her head into me.

"I miss mommy," she mumbles.

"I do too." I sigh, "Where's daddy?"

"He's packing, we're going home now." she frowns.