Chapter 43.

Amara's POV:

"What?" I say breathlessly, I heard it. I'm sure I did. I couldn't have heard it, right? It's Mason we're talking about—of course I didn't hear it.

"I've never said that to anybody before," he mutters quietly. "Not once."

He did. He said it.

"I-" I stutter, why the hell can't I get the words out? I was going to tell him, I've tried telling him—I've known it for weeks.

"Amara?" he almost whimpers, snapping me back to reality. I think I was in shock, some weird state of shock.

"I love you too, so—so much." I ramble, my heart feeling full and my head reeling.

"Really?" he asks, and I can almost hear the child like tone in his voice—seeking reassurance, it makes my heart ache slightly for the little boy who yearned for his family.

"Yes, Mason. Of course I do. I love you more than anything." I smile as the words escape and bite my lip.

I hear him sigh in relief, "I didn't think I'd be able to say it." he mumbles.

"Neither did I." I chuckle.

"I do mean it though," he says under his breath, "I really do."

"I know."

Mason telling me he loved me was anything but what I expected from that phone call. It was more than I could've ever imagined and hearing the words come from his mouth was more special than I ever thought possible.

"I opened your gift." he tells me, confirming my thoughts.

"Did you like it?"

"I loved it, it was amazing, Amara." he says softly, taking a weight from my shoulders.

"I'm glad, I didn't know if it would be too much." I admit.

"It was perfect." he tells me and I can tell it's sincere.

"Amara-" he begins, his voice sheepish and I wonder what he's going to say.

"It's not easy for me to say that," he mumbles, "I've never said it to anyone. I do mean it, more than the fucking world but I'm bad at saying it. It's going to take time." he admits and I admire his honesty.

"That's okay—you took a step, a few months ago you would never have expected to even have a girlfriend; or hold hands with someone, or show affection, or tell me even some of the things you've told me. You'll get there." I tell him softly.

"All I want to do is say it, though. I just can't." he sighs frustratedly.

"How about this..," I begin, "You squeeze my hand three times—any time you want to say it. And any time you do it, it simply means 'I love you'. Nobody has to know besides us." I suggest and hear him chuckle lightly on the other end.

"That's perfect," he says kindly. "It can be our secret code."

"Deal."

We end the call and I finish getting ready for tonight's dinner, Mason's admission definitely helped me get into a better mood—I feel as though I'm floating with happiness. Hopefully it's not short lived when Luke arrives.

————— 3 hours later —————

"Late, he's not making a good first impression." Mason smirks sarcastically.

My mom left over half an hour ago to pick up Luke, but there was a delay at the bar. So, I'm currently perched on my kitchen counter with Mason standing in front of me trying to calm my nerves—why did I agree to this?