Chapter 23.

"You leave tonight, right?" Jess asks.

"Yeah." I mumble, tapping my fingers on my desk with my pen between my teeth.

"Mar, stop worrying." she whines and I run my fingers through my hair.

Today is Friday, the day I go to Carol's, the last day of class, but also the day I get my essay back. Or should I say Mason's essay. I didn't have time to proof read it when he handed it to me, if I get bad marks on it I'm screwed. It's not that I don't trust Mason's writing but.. well, I can't say that I do. He barely ever goes to classes and he teases Matt for reading all the time.
I really wish Mason was coming with me this weekend, too. But I cant force him. I wouldn't want to make him uncomfortable. I promised him I'd swing by after classes to see him before I go.

"Miss Woods." my professor says as he sits my paper back onto my desk, I stare at it for a second, too scared to turn it over.

"Give me that." Jess says as she snatches the piece of paper from in front of me, her eyes widen as she looks at it and my heart sinks.

"Oh god, how bad is it?" I close one eye and peer at it with my other before almost choking.

Just under a perfect score, he couldn't have done any better. I couldn't have done any better. I begin to read the essay and it's amazing. He makes valid points, and has great counter arguments despite his biased opinion. And the conclusion is basically flawless. I'm never going to hear the end of it once I tell him how well he done.

"How does it feel to have a boyfriend that's smarter than you?" Jess teases and I scowl.

"He isn't my boyfriend and he most definitely is not smarter than me." I huff and she laughs.

"Whatever." she rolls her eyes.

Once the class is dismissed for the last time, I can't wait to see Mason. It's the last I'm going to see him for a few days, and even though that isn't long—it certainly feels it. I walk to his dorm and walk inside, I decided not to knock since he knew I was coming, and since I'm more comfortable around him now.

"Hey, Amara." Matt chirps as he takes off his shoes, obviously only arriving back a few minutes before me. Yet no sign of Mason. Sometimes I forget he has a roommate and I probably shouldn't just waltz in like it's my place.

"Hey, Matt. Where's Mason?" I ask, sitting my bag down at the door.

"He went to pick up some stuff, he's heading away for the weekend, didn't he tell you?" he cocks his head and I raise my eyebrow.

"No, he didn't actually..." I mumble, scratching my head as I try and think where the hell he could be going. It makes sense he'd take the weekend away whilst I'm gone, but to where? He doesn't exactly know anybody outside Florida.

"Is he coming back soon?" I ask. "I was supposed to see him before I left."

"Left?" Matt questions confusedly.

"I'm going away for the weekend to my aunt Carol's place. I asked Mason to come but he couldn't." I tell him with a slight frown, realising he's still taking time away—just not with me.

"Oh." Matt trails off, scratching his head.

"Oh..."

"Oh!" he exclaims, his eyes wide.

"What?"

"He's going with you! He was just to prideful and stubborn to tell me." he shakes his head, waving his arms around dramatically at his conclusion.

"I mean, that makes sense... but why wouldn't he just tell me?" I ponder, before we both take a sharp breath in.

"It was a surprise." we say awkwardly in unison.