Chapter 57.

I watch as Mason slowly stirs in his sleep, opening one eye to glance over at me. He shifts to sit upright, his brow furrowing.

"You look like you haven't slept," he props himself up with his elbow.

"I haven't really," I shrug, my eyes sore and my chest numb after last night's ordeal. I couldn't sleep after reading the letter; it was too raw.

"Why?" he tilts his head, "Was that a stupid question?" his raspy morning voice almost makes me smile.

"I read Carol's letter." I say, the mere mention of her name still making me nauseous.

"You did?" he frowns slightly, "Do you want to talk about it?"

"Not right now," I shrug.

"Today's the day though, right?" I raise my brow.

"It is." he shifts uncomfortably.

"What's the plan?" I ask, do I even want to know?

"Do you even know where to find them?" my eyes widen, realising Mason hasn't been here in almost five years.

"I'm not going to them, Amara," he clenches his jaw, "I'm going to make them come to me."

"What? How?" I gape.

"I'm not walking into a base of notorious gang leaders and people who may or may not want me dead. I'll send them an address, and ask them to meet me there, only the bosses—the ones with the issue." he clears his throat, showing me the picture he took on his phone of the email address on my laptop.

"And you're sure they'll come alone?" I furrow my brow, I feel sick.

"No," he shrugs, "I can't be sure, but I know Marco and he's a man of his word."

I almost laugh, "A man of his word? he's a fucking mafia leader, Mason."

"You're cursing more, I'm rubbing off on you." he grins.

"Mason!" I whine, punching his shoulder lightly, "This isn't funny, it's serious."

"You gotta laugh, baby, or we'll cry." he raises his brow, pulling me in towards him.

"Marco and Giovanni Bellucci are brothers, they lead the gang; ruthless people really—I dealt with them most of the time. Stefano and Dante are the right hand men, equally as ruthless, although Stefano used to be a little more lax with me, since I was a kid, we were almost friends in a strange way—I doubt he's anything like that now." he explains, running his fingers through my hair.

"Dante's wife is pretty involved too, but only with helping him. Martina di Fazio is the only woman they let work for them, they don't think women are fit for the job; but she has no mercy on anyone." he furrows his brow as he speaks.

"That's a little sexist, don't you think?" I cock my head.

"Only you, Amara—would worry about sexism in a ruthless Italian gang." he chuckles

"Shut up," I roll my eyes, "Please just be careful.." I plea, nuzzling my head into his neck.

"I will be, I've got you to come back to." he smirks, kissing the top of my head.

"Ready?" he asks, as I lift my head I see the email already written out and ready to send.

"You pre-typed the email?" I raise my brow.

"Gang leader, can't have any typos." he chuckles sarcastically. Part of me hates that he finds humour in this; but I also know that humour is one of the ways Mason tries to cope with things, so I go along with it.