Chapter 29.

Mason's POV:

Around an hour into the drive my phone buzzes indicating I received a text message, then it buzzes again, and again... and again.

"Can you check that for me?" I ask Amara, motioning to my phone which is poking out of my pocket slightly.

"Sure?" she says in a moderately confused tone. I have no reason to not let her read my messages. I only have her number, Matt's, Jake's and a few friends.

I watch from the corner of my eye as her nose scrunches up slightly. "It's Taylor." she says slowly as she continues to focus on the phone—reading the message.

"He's inviting you to a party tonight at his dorm." she tells me, locking the phone again and sliding it back into my pocket without replying.

"Do you want to go?" I ask and hear her scoff under her breath.

"It's a Sunday night." she tells me in a matter of fact tone.

"It's summer, Amara." I laugh.

"I know... but the last party didn't exactly go well." she says quietly and my fist tightens on the wheel slightly as I recall my previous actions.

"Things are different now, remember." I say reassuringly.

"Give it a try?" I plea with her.

I watch her ponder for a second.. "Fine." she huffs dramatically.

"No weed." I tease and she elbows me.

"Hey, hey. That could've caused a crash." I say scornfully and she scowls, her usual demeanour recently. I much prefer us like this, playfully fighting instead of tearing each other's fucking heads off.

I scratch my head, "Can you drive later? I was going to have a couple of drinks." my words come out slightly more nervous than I intended. I just don't want to make Amara feel uncomfortable, I don't want to fuck up yet another party for her.

"You don't have to ask me, you can drink." she says slightly harsher than both of us expected, judging by the expression on her face that followed her blunt words.

"Sorry. I just don't want to hold you back, of course you can drink." her voice softens and she smiles at me.

"As long as you're sure."

She smiles again, "I am, Mase."

"Mase?" I raise my eyebrow and I can tell she's blushing without even taking my eyes off of the road. That's a first.

"Shut up." she mumbles.

"I don't hate it." I grunt and I notice the small smirk that appears on her face.

"I've never had a nickname." I admit.

"Really?"

"Well, yeah. Mason can't really be shortened." I chuckle.

"Well, I found a way." she gloats, wiggling her eyebrows.

"Clearly."

"Mase Jax." she chuckles, "that's both of your names shortened."

"Don't push it." I whine, "It makes me sound like some weird gamer boy."

A smirk reappears on her face, "I get it, you prefer being called princip-"

"Amara." I warn and she laughs, she finds herself so fucking amusing.

"Put your music back on and be quiet." I joke, but she obliged.

To the first part anyway, the music is back on - with Amara singing along to every word for the remainder of the journey home.

——————