Chapter 6.

My eyes widen as I read the note Mason left me and I swear I could feel my heart flutter in my chest. "Your friend, Mason." I can't stop re-reading it. It's such a small gesture, but it means so much to me. It means even more knowing that it came from Mason. Those sort of gestures couldn't be more 'not his thing'. I can imagine him trying to come up with something to write for hours. It may have only been four lines long - but I wouldn't have asked for anything else. I know how much it took for him to write that note, probably hurting his pride a little but his ego could do with being knocked down a little. It means a lot to me that he noticed how hurt I was at him shutting down my 'friend' question.

"You're grinning like a weirdo, Mar! Give me that!" Jess yells as she snatches the piece of paper from my hands. I didn't realise I was smiling so much. At least now I can call Mason my friend without overthinking it as much.

"Oh my god," she pouts.

"Mar, that's so sweet." she whines, shoving my shoulder playfully and scrunching up her nose.

I try to stop my cheeks from flushing but judging by the look on Jess' face, I wasn't successful.

"Miss Woods, Miss Smith. Is there a problem? Or can I start my lesson?" our professor snaps as he folds his arms, giving us a glare that makes my skin crawl. The whole class turns to look at us. I give him an apologetic look and silently mouth 'sorry' while Jess just laughs it off.

Class seems to pass faster than it has the past few days, probably to do with my better mood. I feel a lot better today, after mending my friendship with Jess, and Mason becoming my official "friend". I chuckle at the thought. I'm also glad that Jacob has decided to get help for his anger. I can't see myself forgiving him, or becoming his friend anytime soon - but he deserves the help he needs. I don't think he's a bad person deep down. The only thing on my mind now is my mom. She needs to get back on track so we can try and get our relationship back on track, too. I just don't know if it's possible this time. It's like every time she drinks, our relationship shatters a little more each time, making it so much harder to mend again.

"Hello, earth to Amara." Jess laughs as she waves her hand in front of my face to get my attention.

"The class is over, and I want Froyo." she beams like a child on her way to an ice cream parlour.

"Alright, let's go." I roll my eyes and put my books back into my bag.

As we leave I notice the professor glaring at us, we really are not his favourite students right now. My grades are good and always have been—I don't know why he hates me so much.

"Hey, plant killer." a familiar voice snaps me out of my trance.

"Hey, friend." I emphasise the word friend as I wave the note in my hand. He is noticeably embarrassed as his cheeks lightly flush and he looks around.

"I see you um, got my note." he mumbles, obviously clueless on what to say.

"I did, thank you," I smile, trying not to dwell on it anymore and embarrass him further, even though it is slightly more entertaining than I'd like to admit. "And stop calling me plant killer!" I scoff as I punch his shoulder.

"Sooo, are you going to introduce me?" Jess smirks as she fawns over Mason, I considered asking her to put her tongue back into her mouth, she was drooling over him so much.

"Jess, this is Mason. Mason, this is Jess." I smile awkwardly as I point between the two of them. I notice Masons expression change from awkward to confused as I realise he doesn't know Jess and I are friends again. The last he heard, Jess was ditching me when I needed her, for booze and her boyfriend.