Chapter 39.

Amara's POV:

I picked up Rebecca on my way back from Jess' place, she was having car trouble so I offered to take her shopping — it seemed like a good way to pass the time since Mason and I still haven't spoken, not since our argument.

"Can we get these?" Becca asks as she shakes a bag of chips in her hand.

"Becca, you don't have to ask." I chuckle as I move the shopping cart towards her. She ponders for a second before throwing them in.

"Should I make pizza later? I don't know whether I should. Should I make pizza?" she rambles as she furrows her brow, this is the longest shopping trip of my life.

"Are you staying at Mason's place tonight?" she asks, making me unsure of what to say.

"Mason and I keep fighting." I tell her to which her eyes widen in shock.

"What? Why?"

"I don't know. Everything is pretty stressful right now, we just keep taking it out on each other I guess. He asked me to move in with him and-"

"He what?! Did you say yes?" she gapes, gripping the end of the shopping cart in anticipation.

"No. I can't move in with him." I explain, "We need our own space for now, it's not what I want. But he didn't see it like that." I sigh, feeling guilty for how things went down earlier today.

"If it's not what you want, don't do it. You don't want to ruin what you guys have." she tells me with a warm smile.

"That's exactly what I thought. I cut him off as soon as he mentioned it, I wanted to be straight forward." I tell her, frowning slightly.

"Maybe that's why he was upset, Amara. It's Mason we're talking about. I don't know him as well as you, but I know that was hard for him to ask, maybe you were just too dismissive." she sighs, and I know she's right. This is exactly what I needed, honesty from a friend who isn't scared to tell me how it is.

"I know. We've just been so on edge." I explain, running my fingers through my hair.

"You'll get through it, you're Mason and Amara." she smirks, poking my shoulder playfully.

We continue to walk around the final isles with Becca piling stuff into the cart.

"How did you and Mason meet? I bet it was like a romance movie.. love at first sight." she wiggles her brows and I burst into a fit of laughter.

"God, no!" I laugh, "Mason and I's first interaction was an argument."

"What?" she scrunches her nose up.

"I met Mason after my date with Jake, I had to return his keys that he accidentally left in my bag." I cringe slightly recalling that day. 

"He was at Mason's dorm that day, Mason was really rude to me and I was not in the mood to be talked down to, so I called him an 'asshole with a guitar', I don't even know where it came from." I tell her through my laughter and watch the confused expression that appears on her face.

"You dated Jake?! Mason plays guitar? What?!" she throws her arms down dramatically.

"We went on one date." I chuckle, "Mason has never played guitar in front of me, but he knows how to play."