Chapter 40.

Amara's POV:

I check my phone for the fifth time in the past hour, patiently waiting for it to strike 3:30pm, meaning it's reasonably acceptable for me to start getting ready.

3:28... 3:29... 3:30.

I jump up, perching myself in front of my mirror and start curling my hair. I play some of my favorite music while I get ready, getting myself in a good mood for tonight. I burn my hand twice due to getting too carried away with my enthusiastic singing to old 80's and 90's songs and by the time I finish my hair I can't wait to start my makeup—I've been practising doing winged eyeliner so that I wouldn't have to spend hours doing the one eye.

Surprisingly, I finish both eyes evenly in only fifteen minutes, moving onto mascara, concealer, and even highlight—before topping it off with a rosè tinted lipgloss. Now for the part I've been anticipating since purchasing it, the dress.

I open my closet to the beautiful dress hanging inside, I've never been so thrilled to get dressed before. The dress is perfectly fitted to my body type and rests just below the knees, it's sheer, sequined fabric shines to reveal the layer of gold underneath, with two fine straps securing the top around my neck. The dress zips to the small of my back, leaving it exposed—something that would usually take me out of my comfort zone, but this is just to perfect to resist.

I zip the dress up for the first time since frantically trying it on in the changing rooms, and step in front of my mirror. I've never been confident in my skin, in my body, in me. But in this moment, standing in this..gown, I can look at myself and feel pretty.

I check my phone, the time reads 5:13 and I have three texts from Mason. I slide it to open our chat;

*I bought a suit, this shit feels strange.. I feel like I'm going to a wedding, or a funeral. We aren't going to a wedding or a funeral, right?*

*I'm joking. I can't wait to see you, I bet you look beautiful.*

*But don't flatter yourself.*

I laugh, shaking my head. A perfect demonstration of Mason panicking after being too affectionate.

*Wait, you didn't want to go to a funeral? And consider me flattered.* I send jokingly.

*I wouldn't push it if I were you, I'm already wearing a suit. You've won.*

*I can't wait to see it.* I reply truthfully. I really can't believe I'm finally going to see Mason in a suit. I smile at the thought of it.

I put on my shoes and grab my bag, along with our overnight bag and my car keys, purse, the necessities. Just at that my phone rings. I swipe to answer whilst gathering my things.

"If you're just calling me to tease me then hang up because I'm about to leave to pick you up." I chuckle.

"Oh I like the sound of that." Jess' voice startles me, her tone full of sarcasm.

"Shit, Jess. I thought you were Mason." I mentally facepalm.

"I just wanted to say I left a little present for you on your doorstep. Have fun tonight, baaaabe." she sniggers, poorly imitating Mason's voice.

"Why didn't you just come inside?" I ask confusedly.

"You'll understand, I have to go I'm driving." she mutters quickly before ending the call.