Chapter 33.

"Mar!" Izzy chirps as she reaches up for me. I pick her up and she nuzzles her head into my neck. I'm slightly fuzzy from the immense amount of cocktails Becca insisted on us drinking last night, and the shock of seeing my Aunt Carol and Isabella.

"Come in." I say frantically as Carol picks up the luggage from the ground. "It's your birthday?" Becca gapes as her and Jess arise from the kitchen, with Jess giving me a weak smile. I don't like making a fuss over my birthday, I wasn't even planning on celebrating it at all this year.

"Where's your mom?" Carol asks breathlessly as she places the bags at her feet.

"Still in bed, I think." I say, my head reeling from the frantic situation unravelling.

"Why didn't you tell me it was your birthday?" Becca says in panic. Just as I open my mouth to answer, the doorbell rings.

"I'll get it!" Carol chirps as she makes her way to the door. Shuffling as she holds her seemingly larger baby bump. I attempt to place Izzy down, but her arms remain tightly around my neck, whining for me to keep her in my arms.

"Carol?" I hear Mason's voice echo from the doorway and my eyes widen. Shit.

"Mason!" Izzy smiles as he walks inside. "Izzy?" he scratches his head.

"We're here for Mar's birthday!" she yells and Mason's jaw drops, "It's your birthday?!" he gasps.

"Is that Mason I hear?" my mom's sleepy voice breaks the catastrophe that has broken out as she enters the room scratching her head.

"Carol? Izzy?!" she squints her eyes at our surprise guests.

"It's her birthday?" Mason repeats as he tugs his hair back in frustration.

"He didn't know either?" Becca raises her brow.

"You two didn't know?" Carol scratches her head as she looks between Mason and my newly made friend.

My head is pounding and I feel like I'm in the middle of a sit-com. This really couldn't have been any more hectic if we tried. I place Izzy down and rub my head.

"Jess, Becca, will you take Izzy into the kitchen? She can finish my pancakes." I say, giving them 'the look' to which they both luckily catch onto. "Sure." Jess smiles awkwardly, "Come on, Iz." she takes her hand and leads her away.

Now I'm standing in between an extremely confused and rather awkward Carol as she realises she has dropped a bomb. A half-asleep, equally as confused mother.. and Mason. Who looks pissed, undeniably confused, and sort of hurt.

I take a deep breath, "Yes, it's my birthday. No, Mason and Becca didn't know, I hadn't mentioned it. Yes, Carol and Izzy are here. They showed up 15 minutes ago, right before Mason. Did I cover everything?" I ask tiredly as I rub my eyes.

"I'll make some coffee." my mom says awkwardly. "Want some?" she asks Mason to which he just nods.

"Where's Steve?" I furrow my brow.

"He's off on a business trip, he's sending his love, though." she smiles as she looks between Mason and I.

"Izzy and I were planning on staying for a few days, is that okay?" Carol asks as she places her hand on her back with a pained look on her face.

"Of course, stay for as long as you like. Sit down, rest. That's a long drive for somebody so heavily pregnant." I say a little concerned.

"Can I talk to you?" Mason asks and I sigh, "Come on." I say as I lead him to my room. I take a seat on the edge of the bed as he closes the door behind him, standing in front of me with his brows furrowed.