Chapter 37.

Amara's POV:

"You guys are insane." my mom cackles as she yells for Carol to join us in the living-room. Mason and I are sitting on the floor surrounded by four boxes of freshly made pizza rolls in a variety of toppings, ready for us to eat. Mason is rubbing his hands together in excitement like a child in a candy store as his eyes scan the floor surrounding us. He's practically salivating.

"Have one." he demands with anticipation in his voice. He's been desperate for me to try these for months.

I pick up a small pizza roll and wave it in front of his face, "Ready?" I wiggle my brows.

I take a bite and nod in agreement, these are amazing.

"They're great, huh?" he chants with pride as he shoves one into his mouth.

"What the hell are you guys doing?" Carol laughs as she walks into the room.

"I got her to try pizza rolls, eventually." Mason explains with a mouth full of food.

"Let's just.. leave them to it." my mom chuckles, leading Carol into the kitchen.

"I never thought I'd get to try these, we have bad luck with them." I joke as I pick up another.

"It's because we didn't make these ones ourselves." he chuckles with a raised eyebrow.

"You mean because you didn't make them." I retort, watching as his expression quickly turns to a scowl.

"Whatever." he rolls his eyes, pulling one of the boxes onto his lap.

Jess' POV:

"Just stop talking, let me think." I snap, running my fingers through my hair.

"Jess, she's lying. You know me." Jack defends as he attempts to stroke my arm, sending cold and uninviting shivers down my spine and throughout my whole body. His mere touch is making me nauseous.

"Do I? Do I know you, Jack? Where did you go all of those times you would disappear? What were you doing when you said you were out of town? Why did you seem so repulsed by me until tonight? This was the first time in weeks we've had sex or even been intimate, Jack." I ramble as a tear slips from my eye, making me turn away.

"I told you, I was out of town — not with some guy. Trust me, baby." he says lowly, his voice sickening me. I know he's lying. I know Amara was telling the truth. Every part of me knows it, and every part of me is screaming at myself to throw him out and slam the door. So why am I not doing it?

"Jess?" he taps my shoulder lightly as my eyes stay on the ground, focusing on the pin that stands out against the wood.

I walk towards it, picking it up and examining it. I know Jack loves baseball, and apparently so did Matt. I stare at it in my palm, mocking my naïvety and ignorance towards my boyfriend's actions for the past... however many months he's been seeing Matt.

"Leave, please." I snap, my hurt seeming to dissolve into the pit of my stomach, a fresh layer of rage and resentment boiling inside of me.

"Don't be stupid, we can work it out. I'm heading to bed." he brushes it off, turning to walk to my bedroom. Is he serious?

"Jack. Get out before I call the cops." I mutter under my breath, making him burst into laughter.

"The cops? Are you kidding, Jess?" he laughs in my face.

"Get out." I berate.

I watch him think for a second, laughing in anger under his breath before he grabs his jacket. "Whatever, Jess. I'll call you later," he huffs as he walks out of the door.