Chapter 34.

I look around to try and figure out what possible reason he could have for bringing me here. All that's in sight is three tall buildings, all of which look empty. The brickworked, derelict building that is wedged between the two others seems to tower above them — it gives me chills. It appears to be an old apartment building, which probably hasn't been inhabited in at least 30 years.

"I know what you're thinking." Mason breaks my thoughts.

"Oh, no. I really don't think you do." I scoff as I walk slightly closer, trying to work out the appeal that Mason must have seen to bring me here.

"We're at the wrong side, come on." he says quickly, grabbing my hand and leading me around the side of the building, to stand in front of a tall fire escape.

"Okay, I'll admit.. you've lost me." I say as I scratch my head.

"We're going up to the roof." he says nonchalantly and I wait for the punchline, or a laugh, or an 'I'm just kidding' but none of the three escape his lips.

"You're kidding, right?" I say with wide eyes.

"No, I'm not. I told you we were going to conquer your fear of heights at some point. Today is that point." he says encouragingly and I almost have to pick up my jaw from the gravel ground.

"Mason, there is no way you're getting me up there. It doesn't look safe. Nobody's been up there in at least thirty years!" I exclaim, taking a small step back from the metal staircase that lingers at my feet.

"That's what you said about the motorcycle, and look how much you loved that." he begins, "Don't." his finger covers my mouth as I attempt to cut him off.

"I came up here to make sure it was safe, first. It's perfectly stable-"

"Unlike you, apparently." I interrupt and he glares at me.

"Amara." his brow furrows and I sigh, motioning for him to carry on.

"I know a friend that comes here to think, they gave me the idea since there aren't many stable heights to climb around here. I have a surprise for you once we're up there, please just try?" his eyes are pleading with me as he fiddles with his pockets, he's nervous about something and it's not the height. I look at him, my mind screaming at me to stay grounded, but he has this annoying hold over me that I can't shake.

I never thought I'd get on a motorbike, but I did. I never thought I'd adore somebody this much, but I do. I never thought I'd enjoy a birthday again, but I am. I may as well tick off 'fear of heights', right?

"Okay." I mumble as I scuff my foot along the ground anxiously.

He shoots me a proud smile, "You go first."

"So I can steady you from behind.. I'll make sure you're safe." he adds, obviously reading how uneasy I am.

I take a deep breath and place my foot on the first step, as I reach the second flight of stairs, and notice how high up we're getting, I feel myself wobble, to which Mason's arms almost instantly wrap around my waist. "Don't look down, Amara. Never look down." he says softly and I nod.

After around ten stops, fifteen 'I can't do this', and twenty wobbles, we reach the final flight. As my foot touches the concrete of the roof, I land perfectly on top, turning around immediately to see Mason.

He joins me on the tall roof and smiles at my accomplishment, "I did it!" I yell as I wrap my arms around his neck. "You did it." he chuckles as he kisses my cheek.

"There better be a helicopter or a litter of puppies up here, I just climbed up a building." I raise my brow and he laughs, "Even better." his lips tug into a smirk and I'm increasingly intrigued.