Chapter 32.

Amara's POV:

I wipe my eyes as I catch my breath, trembling as I sob into Mason's chest as the ending credits to 'The Notebook' roll across the TV screen. I can't count how many times I've watched this movie—and I cry my eyes out each time. My heart breaks each time. I tried to hold my tears as I watched Noah and Allie dance for the last time, clenching my eyes shut, but I couldn't hold it in—I was a wreck the rest of the way through. I sniffled and I sobbed into Mason's t-shirt and he let me. Despite the fact I've cried in front of him multiple times before, I still tried my hardest to hold back the tears.

I look up at Mason through my distorted vision and notice he looks choked up. Of course, no visible tears—his eyes aren't even glassy, but I can see it in his face.

"Mason?" I mumble through my stunted breath, "Are you okay?" I ask as I wipe my eyes again—trying to read his expression.

"Yeah, I'm fine." he coughs, tensing his shoulders. Mason is the last person I would have expected to be affected by a movie like this. I expected him to laugh at me for being so upset and mock me for every part of the movie. Every kiss, every tear, every 'I love you.'

"What's wrong?" I tug on his shirt, "Talk to me, I can barely see through my tears—you're allowed to be upset at it, too." I say as jokingly and reassuringly as I can—even though I still can't believe he's even affected by it at all.

"I'm not upset at the stupid movie, Amara." he groans under his breath. I know Mason struggles to handle his feelings but I hate that he snaps at me because of it.

"Fine." I snap back as I stand up from the bed, unclasping his arm from around my waist. "Amara, don't." he sighs, sitting up to look at me.

"Then talk to me, Mason." I cross my arms against my chest.

"It's just, a little intimidating. I don't know." he shrugs, shaking his head and scoffing as if he doesn't care—his tone and demeanor completely contradicting his words and pained expression.

"What is?" I ask calmly as I perch myself on the edge of the bed.

"I don't know why you like that movie so much, it's so tragic," he says awkwardly.

"I know, but love is tragic. They were together in the end, that was the whole point. He knew their love was strong enough to take them away together." I try to explain to him, "They loved each other so much—they had an amazing love story and even when she didn't know who he was, he read their story to her every day. Despite everybody telling him that she wouldn't remember." my eyes water thinking back.

"I don't know how he did it. He spent years without his wife knowing who he was, without her remembering their life—how could anybody do that?" he asks, his voice full of confusion and a hint of.. sadness?

"I told you it was sad. It's one of my favourite love stories of all time. I love everything about it—even the heartbreaking parts. It's so moving, even when she was engaged to another man they still found their way back to one another. They always did." I smile.

"One of? Which other love stories are you obsessed with?" he chuckles slightly.

"That's for me to know, and you to find out on another movie night." I wiggle my brows.

Mason motions for me to come closer, I leap across the bed and wrap my arms around his neck—causing him to fall back against the headboard. "It was a stupid fucking movie, anyway." he chuckles and I know he's wearing a smirk on his face.

"I was waiting for a comment like that." I lean forward, my arms still around his neck and my eyebrow raised. It was beyond strange seeing Mason have a reaction like that to a movie, I know he'll never admit it but it upset him. My phone buzzes from my desk, making me flinch. I detach myself from Mason and pick it up to read the screen, it's from Jess.