Chapter 19.

"So.. what kind of car is this?" my mom asks Mason, trying to fill the awkward silence which has filled the car for the past few minutes, he insisted on driving—which is logical since he would have had to leave his car at my house.

"Uhm.." Mason mumbles, I know that he knows exactly what type of car it is, he's just scared to speak in case he says the wrong thing.

"So, where are we going for food?" I chime in to break the tension.

"I found a nice place I wanted to try, we're almost there, its not far." Mason tells me, trying his best to sound confident yet nice.

"What time is it?" she asks us.

"Almost seven." I answer her and she nods as I look at her from the mirror.

"Where are we going?" she asks, tapping her fingers.

"Mason chose somewhere." I answer.

"Are we almost there?" she asks, looking around at where Mason drives, I recognise it but I'm not sure where from.

"A few minutes." Mason tells her. I feel like Mason and I are the parents and my mom is our child, with her endless questions and babbling.

Mason's POV:

I don't understand why I'm so fucking nervous, if I fuck this up Amara's mom will never like me. I'm taking them to the nicest place I know, I hate how much I want to impress them both. I wish it was just Amara and I, but I don't do dates. I also didn't do meeting the fucking parents till today but here I am, driving my.. whatever Amara is and her mom for dinner. I pull into the parking lot and I see Amara's face scrunch up slightly, shit. She doesn't like it. We aren't even inside and she doesn't like it. Fuck.

"Are you okay?" I whisper to her and she nods, faking a smile—she's such a fucking awful liar. I can't exactly drive away now, I would usually, but her mom would be suspicious.

We get out of the car and I walk at Amara's side, her mom slightly behind us.

We walk inside and get seated at a table in the centre of the room, this place is cheesy as hell. Full of lights and candles and decorations, it's a fire disaster waiting to happen. I notice Amara cringe as we take our seats, she must hate it. Fuck, I knew it. I sit beside her and her mom sits across from us, none of us know what to say. Why am I here again?

"Are you okay, sweetheart?" Amara's mom asks her, she obviously notices how uncomfortable she is too.

"I'm fine." she lies, again.

I narrow my eyes at her and she avoids eye contact with me, fiddling with her hair, she's keeping something from me and it's pissing me off.

"Amara, what's wrong? Don't say nothing, I know you're lying." I sound harsher than I meant to, and I smile to weaken the blow, her mom must hate me already.

"Uhm.." she scratches her chin awkwardly and scrunches up her nose.

"This is where Jake took me on that date we had." she mumbles and I feel the anger rise in me, I try my best to cool it down.

"That's so ironic! Whatever happened to Jake? He sounded like a nice boy." her mom smiles and I have to restrain myself from cussing him out to them both. I hate Jake.

"He wasn't. He's nicer now, but it didn't go well and I couldn't ever see him in that way." Amara says softly, obviously trying to soothe me, as she gently grazes her hand over mine—which is balled into a fist under the table, strangely, I feel a lot more relaxed from the simple momentary touch.

"Oh, well that's a shame." her mom sighs and then takes in a breath, clearly realising how insensitive she just was.

"Not really." Amara snaps and the tension grows, this is fucking awkward.