||1||

U.A. High School Hero Course_
Exam Orientation_

I sat in my seat, by the looks of it, we're arranged by our schools, looks like I'm the only one from my school.

Currently, there are a ton of students sat in a large auditorium, it goes high up the walls by the looks of it, a bit like a theatre. A large stage at the front.

"Y/n," a girl from my class greeted me, I don't remember her name, "I didn't expect you to try out here, after all, your quirk is a lot better for villainy, you know?"

I just shrugged and opened the welcome booklet I'd received in the post a while back.

It basically gives us students who want to join UA a quick rundown on what we have to do to get in and then what will happen if we're part of the lucky % of kids who do manage to pass these ridiculous exams.

We're here for the practical exam, I'm unsure what it'll be about but it'll be something to flash our quirks off on. I'm going to take a quick guess that it might be a simulation of some kind, but nothing easy, that's for sure.

"What's up UA candidates, thanks for tuning in to me: your school DJ. Come on, let me hear from you!" Present Mic spoke from the stage once everyone had settled down, he leaned out like he expected us to all roar in excitement at the sight of him, "keeping it mellow, huh? That's fine, I'll skip straight to the main show."

Thank god, I don't think I'd be able to listen to him act like...well, as he does for a long period of time.

"Let's talk about how this practical exam is going to go down, OK?" he continued before throwing his arm out dramatically, "are you ready?! Yeah."

More silence befell his "excitement".

"Like your application said, today you rock'n boys, girls and non-binary pals will be out there conducting 10-minute mock battles in super hip suburban settings," he started to explain, "bring whatever you want, after I drop the mic here, you all go to your specified locations, sound good?"

I looked down at my card.

Exam Ticket
Examinee No.: 1223
Test Location: Battle Centre D

"OK?!" he shouted, not getting an answer from anyone must be infuriating for him so he's going all energy out. Or he's just super energetic then, please, dial it down.

The screen behind him changed to what seemed to be a layout of the cityscape we'll be fighting in.

"OK, OK, let's check out your targets. There are three types of cool villains in every battle centre," Present Mic started talking again, "you'll earn points based on their level of difficulty, so you better choose wisely. Your goal in this trial is to use your quirk to raise your score by shredding these villains like a guitar solo! But, check it--! Make sure you're keeping things heroic, that means attacking other students is a UA no-no, you dig?"

So we have three villains, 1 pointer, 2 pointer and a 3 pointer, however, on this sheet, we were given on our way in, it says there are four villains. If I'm going to guess this correctly, I'd say these machines are pointed depending on size meaning, the largest one will be the fourth guy, right? And it is either going to be worth 4 to 10 points or it can be the worst of all and be 0 points, only there to serve as a distraction of some kind and weed out the kids who would get easily distracted from their real-time goal of the fight.

He shook his hand around in a no motion as someone a few rows behind me stood up.

"Excuse me, sir, but I have a question," he called out, one look at him and I can tell he's one of those annoying studious goodie-to-shoes.

"Hit me!" Present Mic pointed to him and a spotlight flashed over the kid.

"On the print out, you've listed to four types of villains, not three, with all respect if this is an error on official UA materials, it is shameful," he started ranting, "we are exemplary students, we expect the best from Japan's most notable school, a mistake such as this won't do."

No offence, but I hope he flunks this. For experience, materials won't be confidently passed out if there's something wrong with it, meaning, Present Mic probably had more to say before this smart ass butted in.

"Additionally, you with the unkempt hair," he turned and pointed to a boy with green hair and freckles sitting a couple of rows behind him, "You've been muttering this entire time, stop that. If you can't bother to take this seriously, leave. You're distracting the rest of us."

Oh wow, this guy is on a rampage, will someone butt in and shut this guy up too? This might turn out to be a bit more entertaining than I thought it would be.

"Alright, alright, examinee number 7111, thanks for calling in with your request," Present Mic started talking again, addressing the situation like he was talking on his radio show, "the fourth villain type is worth 0 points! That guy is just an obstacle we'll be throwing in your way, there's one in every battle centre... Think of it as a hurdle you should try to avoid, it's not that it can't be beaten, but there's...kind of no point beating it. I recommend my listeners avoid it and try to focus on what's happening on the charts."

Now I'm certain he thinks he's on his radio show.

However, that confirms my suspicion, the fourth one is there as a distraction, but if it gets in my way, I suppose I'll destroy it.

"Thank you very much, please continue," the nerdy kid from earlier bowed and then sat back down.

"That's all I've got for you today, I'll sign off with a little present: a sample of our school motto," Present Mic concluded, "as the great hero Napoléon Bonaparte once said: "True heroism consists in being superior to the ills of life," mhm, now that's a tasty sour bite, now let's hear a plus ultra!"

I didn't expect that one.

"Good luck, hope you practised hitting more than just books," he finished before pointing to the doors, "now to out to the buses and get into the one going to your correct battle centre."

I stood up, being sat at the end of my row was good for me, I just stood up and walked out before everyone else. I'm quite happy with that.

"Which battle centre are you in?" someone asked me, a member of staff, I guess?

"D," I replied, the person nodded and pointed over to the fourth bus, "thanks."

I could've figured that out for myself.