||55||

"Who was that kid, y/n?" Mina asked as we changed into our hero suits.

"Who? Shortie?" I asked, looking over at her, she nodded, "he's Seiji, a middle school friend of mine. We had quite the rivalry going on before he moved to the west. It was crazy."

"So were you two close or something?" Momo asked I closed the locker that had been assigned to me and inspected the blade of my katana.

"Yep! We were almost inseparable until he left," I told them, "oh, he's a year older than us, so of course we didn't have classes together except for pe for some reason. It was quite amusing, I wasn't allowed to participate and Seiji really couldn't be bothered so we started challenging each other before it became a full-on rivalry."

"Crazy," Ochaco gawked at me, "it doesn't seem like your bond has been terminated during your separation either. That's pretty cool."

"Maybe, maybe not," I replied before sheathing my katana and walking out of UA's girl's changing room and started walking towards the designated orientation room.

°🌺°

I'm feeling quite claustrophobic right now, it's so packed. Not to mention, I'm stood next to some creepy kid with tape over their mouth, they keep staring at me and it's freaking me out. I say they because I can't determine their gender, plus we're an accepting society so yeah. Fuck you automatic gender deciding thoughts.

A loud groan filled the hall, I thought it might be some big guy getting bored until words followed the groan.

"OK then, let's do this exam thing."

I looked up to see some shaggy-haired guy who looks like he's been running on nothing but coffee and paperwork. Honestly sucks to be him...

"I'm from--uh-- the heros public safety commission, the names Mera," the guy introduced himself before mumbling something I couldn't quite make out because his head drooped forward and his words basically merged into one whole line of mumbles, "oh man... I've been swamped lately and I haven't gotten much rest."

Jeez, sucks to be this guy. I can't help but feel sorry for him. Someone give him a pillow and blanket, he looks like he'll just drop dead right there. He looks worse than me on a Sunday morning after intensive training with grandpa... Or how I used to look... Damn it... Grandpa...

"We're too short-staffed, I'm so tired," Mera broke me out of my thoughts as he whined to us, he sounded like he might cry or he was on the brink of yawning, I couldn't really tell which one though, "with that confession, I will now begin orientation."

Poor guy.

"So about the content of this license thing... Basically, 1540 examinees compete in a free for all exercise or whatever we're calling it this year..." Mera started explaining, "you see... We've got a lot of pros around...and since Stain was arrested, many people express doubts about the status of heros in society."

Yeah. We all already know that.

The feeling of the person beside me glaring into the side of my head was starting to really freak me out. Like seriously, dude, look at Mera, the poor guy isn't sleeping so we can do this, least you can do it give him your 100% attention.

Wait a second... Now that I think about us, everyone has been giving us UA kids hungry stares. Crap--!

They know our quirks, they'll basically have them all analysed and we'll be the number 1 targets! Crap crap crap! I have to warn everyone before this exam starts or we'll be going in blind as hell. People around us will have plans to get us and I bet every school will probably team up to take us down. I mean, this isn't really a problem for me thanks to Ectoplasm's training that even stretched late into the night, now I can slow time down on command. It wasn't easy but I got the hang of it. I can use that, or just hop through time, but the others don't really have that luxury. Class 1-A is in trouble...

"But...when you really think about it, getting paid makes sense. If you're going to risk your life to save someone, then why shouldn't you ask for a reward?" Mera continued his speech that really had nothing to do with why we're here, "that's just the way the world works, god I could use a coffee. Anyway, whether they're in it for compensation or out of a sense of duty, we've got too many heros working together in the streets these days, working to keep villains at bay. Honestly, the time between when an incident and when it's resolved is ridiculously short. You are all here to try to receive your provisional licences, so you'll be swept up in this bothersome mess yourselves."

That's...one way to put it, I guess...

"Those of you who don't have the speed, frankly just won't cut it, which is why that's what you'll be tested on," he continued before the board behind him lit up with the words:

'Number to pass 1st test - 100 people'

Oh shit.

How many did he say were here again? 1540? That makes less than 1% will pass, not 50% fuck you Aizawa, you lied to us again!

This is going to be a freaking war, not a competition. Us UA kids might actually be slaughtered. I'm starting to think that this might've been a really bad idea.

"The first 100 students to fulfil the requirements will pass today," Mera announced as if we couldn't actually read the giant bold letters on the giant ass board behind him. Everyone burst into a giant mess of shocked murmurs as the little freaky kid beside me just kept staring. I hope the test allows me to punch this kid because they're so freaking creepy...

"Well the world can be pretty crap, I suppose I should probably say something about luck," Mera stood up, please don't. I don't think you'll make the situation to amazing...

"So anyway, here are the basic rules," he quickly moved on not actually saying anything about luck, "the examinee will put three of these targets on his or her body."

He held up a weird-looking disk with a button or something on it as the board projected the walkthrough in images behind him.

"They can go anywhere they want as long as it's in an exposed area, so no soles of the feet or armpits," Mera continued to explain, "each of you will have six of these balls."

He raised a red ball.

"The targets have been programmed to light up whenever they've been touched by the balls," he told us, hey, this might be pretty easy, my aim is spot on so I won't fail this, "if all three targets light up, you're out."

So it's an intense game of dodge ball, huh? But it's got a different rule base and surrounding. A bit like a weird side story level in a video game. One of those that make no sense and have nothing to do with the actual video game so you just kind of go with the flow and find that it's quite entertaining and just kind of play it over and over until you're finally number 1 on the leader board.

"Oh and the person who lights up your third target will get credit for your defeat," Mera told us, "you get through this round by taking through two people. Got it? Good."

So if I get creepy beside me, and if they're with anyone, I'll complete this in a flash. Alright, simple enough.

"What else?" Mera asked as if he had no idea what he was actually supposed to do, "oh, I guess we'll pass out the targets and balls now, you'll have a few minutes to get situated afterwards the opening."

Opening?

Suddenly a loud rumbling echoed from above us as the roof split in half and opened up, the walls falling down with it.

Wow. That's pretty cool.

Time to get my provisional licence, this'll be a piece of cake.