Francis- Lie (c)

Reign One Shot

Keeping secrets from your husband wasn't desirable. You had always believed that honesty was the best foundation for a healthy relationship but sometimes there were things that needed to be kept from the person you loved until it was the right time for honesty to be free.

You hadn't had the heart to tell Francis that you had been to the infirmary, but your absence hadn't gone unnoticed. He was waiting in your chambers when you arrived, and you had to try and keep a pleasant smile upon your face and not show your uncertainty or deception.

"Where have you been?" He questioned. "Your guard had known not of you leaving your chambers, and your lady's maid couldn't offer any information about your whereabouts."

You had hoped that Francis wouldn't know of your trip to the infirmary, but you hadn't anticipated that he would be waiting for you there. Regardless you would have to think of a reason as to why you weren't in your chambers and why you would sneak from them without telling anyone.

"I felt nauseous, I didn't mean to worry anyone, so visited the infirmary to get the tea I had before," you offered as an excuse that you hoped he would buy.

Francis didn't look certain of your words, and this only grew when his eyes trailed to the folded piece of parchment that lie in your hand. You had tried to hold it out of his view, but you knew it was a rather juvenile idea, he would find out at some point and you weren't the most subtle of people.

"What is in your hand?" He questioned.

Attempting to act nonchalant, you held it up as though there weren't not any words upon it that needed to stay hidden. Sadly, Francis took the action as a sign he had access to the parchment and plucked it from your fingers.

"Give it back," you pleaded, hoping he would heed your words, not reading of your trip to the infirmary.

He ignored your begging and unfolded the parchment and read the words upon it. As he reached the end you could see his eyebrows furrow and as he dropped the letter onto the vanity, he looked clearly unsettled.

"Why did you not tell me?" He questioned.

"I didn't wish to get your hopes up... again," you whispered, pain hitting your heart.

Francis' expression softened as he moved to caress your cheek lovingly, as a caring husband would to a wife who felt broken and lost.

"It is not a sad day to learn you are with child," he assured.

"It is when the last three times no baby has come from it. I have heard the rumours, I have heard your mother seeking an annulment of our marriage as I cannot offer you a child," you croaked. "I remember the hope and joy the pregnancies gave you, you have always wished to be a father, but I also remember the heartbreak when I lost them. I couldn't bear see that again."

He raised your chin, offering you a gentle smile. "We both lost our children and I do desperately hope we are not to lose this one but if that is what is to be, then we face that together. I shall never wish to end our marriage, especially not over an heir. We will find a way to bring a child into our arms and we shall do that together. I love you too much for any other way."

You couldn't help but smile back to her. "I love you too."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Requested by