Patrick Verona- Books (c)

10 Things I Hate About You One Shot

Sometimes it felt as though your books spent more time on the floor than in your arms. You tended to be a quiet person, preferring your own company over others but it made others think that you could be rather odd and being odd was a terrible thing in a high school. You had been walking from the school building to head home when some of the popular students who enjoyed making your life hell decided to do what they did best- make your life hell. They had called you names before knocking your books from your hands, taking joy in seeing the shocked expression on your face.

Loud swear words sent them fleeing as a boy likely a year older than you joined you in the middle of the pathway. He let out another swear word, flicking his cigarette butt to the floor, stamping it out.

"You alright?" He asked, looking off to the people he had scared off.

"Y-yeah," you nodded your head.

You hated that people picked on you, but it had become almost a normal occurrence for you, having people be cruel and mean to you at least once a day whilst you were at school.

"Fucking arseholes," he hissed.

You crouched down to pick up your books, the boy helping you gather them up.

"Thank you for scaring them off," you said softly, your voice cracking in fear of talking him, not knowing if he scared off your other bullies to hurt you worse.

"They are dicks," he stated. "You sure you're okay?"

You nodded your head.

"W-why did you help me?" You questioned. "I don't think we've ever spoken before... I don't think I even know your name."

You didn't really know many people in your school, and you had seen this guy before, but you were pretty certain you had never spoken to him before. He was an outsider, like you were but to two different extremes.

"Sometimes they need to be put in their place. I tend to not get involved in this hellhole of a school but it's hard to not see you get pushed around by that lot. It's a shame, you seem alright," he shrugged. "I'm Patrick."

"Y/N," you said softly. "I appreciate your help."

He shrugged his shoulders again. "You deserve better than what they give you, you're relatively pleasant to be around."

You couldn't help but smile at his compliment, even if it wasn't that great of one.

"You're not too bad yourself."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.