Jack Hodgins- Invite (h)

Bones One Shot

Christmas was different for everyone – some people didn't celebrate; others celebrated every single chance they got, and it seemed to depend on the families too.

Whilst you were growing up your parents had always made a big deal out of Christmas for you and your siblings. They wanted the magic of it to stay with you and in all honesty, you'd never forgotten how it had felt on Christmas morning.

When you and Jack had first started going out he didn't really say much about his family which was a little confusing but you never pushed it – when Jack did tell you however, you realised why he'd held off on it for as long as he did.

Given how influential and wealthy his family is, he didn't want to scare you off, but he was also pretty used to people just sticking around because of his parents.

You were yet to meet Jack's family; they knew about you but as Jack had moved out a while ago, he tried to go home as little as was possible.

Whilst Jack was at work, you had been at his flat and a letter from his parents had been delivered – out of curiosity you'd opened it to see an invite to his parents' annual Christmas Eve party.

That lead to you to walking into the Jeffersonian with the invite in your hand.

"Jack!" you called out as you walked up to the security entrance of the lab.

Your boyfriend turned around as you approached, looking confused at you being there. "Baby?"

He came down from the lab before taking you up to the balcony so the two of you could sit down.

"Why are you here?" he questioned once he'd sat down next to you.

You handed him the invitation in the post. "This came whilst I was at yours, I wouldn't have come for just the invite so turn it over."

He did so and the shock on his face was evident when he read the note. "They're telling me to come this year?"

"It seems so love, and you said no for the past however many years," you reminded him. "Plus, they explicitly told you to bring me, not just the 'girl you're seeing' so I think that's progress."

Sighing he shook his head. "No, nothing is ever good with my parents," he breathed out. "If they're doing this it means they want something from me, not just to meet my girlfriend."

You reached out to place your hand on Jack's thigh. "It's Christmas love, maybe they just miss their son? You haven't seen them in months."

Jack moved so that he could rest his head in your lap, so you ran your hands through his hair. "They never cared about me being there before," he told you. "But I met you right after new year and now they think they need to meet you to make sure you're right for me."

"So what? They can vet me all they want," you reassured him. "They won't get under my skin, and they might just surprise you."

He scoffed and caught your hand as you went to run it through your hair. "They have always been predictable."

"Don't think of it like we're going to see your parents," you suggested. "Think of it as something new we get to do together."

He looked up at you with confusion in his eyes, but he held your hand on his chest.

You smiled down at him, leaning down until your hair essentially covered him. "I've never been to a fancy pants ball, let alone at Christmas," you admitted causing him to chuckle. "How about showing me a new way to Christmas?"

He chuckled again as he gripped the back of your neck to pull you down fully for a kiss. "It'll be the best damn Christmas of your life."

~*~

Written by Hannah.