Leonard Hofstadter- Blind Date (h)

The Big Bang Theory One Shot

Finding a good guy nowadays was probably one of the most difficult things to do – it was always just one date and you realised that they weren't right for you.

Sometimes you couldn't even get to the date bit because it seemed somewhat impossible to meet a decent guy.

It wasn't the first time that you'd gone into work and all but ranted to your co-worker Penny, who was also a good friend of yours, but this time Penny had a proud smile on her face.

"I have an idea," she told you, looking triumphant.

You sighed, crossing your arms as you cleaned the bar. "Please, not another blind date – all the guys you set me up with are your type! You even tried to set me up with Kurt one time."

She rolled her eyes. "Okay, firstly, Kurt was a mistake in general and second, you'll really like this guy," she pouted at you when you didn't look convinced. "He lives across the hall from me, I promise you he won't be like the others."

After a few more attempts at convincing you, you eventually gave in and so two days later you were meeting a guy called Leonard for dinner.

You had to admit, looks wise he seemed to be your type and you were beginning to think that Penny might have been right.

Throughout the evening, the idea of Leonard being your type slowly faded away – he couldn't stop talking about American football and how much he was interested in it, as well as how often he went to the gym because he just loved a good workout.

It surprised you to say the least because Penny knew what your interests were, and they didn't at all match up with Leonard's.

Despite all of that, you still managed to have a fairly decent date with him; he did know how to hold a conversation and he seemed pretty intelligent, the two of you could spar fairly easily without feeling as if you needed to explain things which worked for you.

The conversation flowed throughout the night, even though you didn't know all that much about sports you tried to keep an interest for the sake of your date.

As Leonard walked you up to your apartment at the end of the night you inwardly sighed as Penny hadn't been right after all.

You heard Leonard take a deep breath as you turned around to face him.

"So...uh...would you like to go on another date sometime?" he asked you, sounding nervous.

Sighing, you held your keys in your hand as you shook your head. "I'm sorry Leonard, I really am," you told him. "You seem like a great guy, but I just don't think this will work. You're too into sports for me, I really don't know them all that well. I'm more into Star Trek and comics and all of that sort of stuff so I just don't think we'll gel all that well."

As you unlocked your door, you missed the look of pure shock and surprise on Leonard's face at what you had just said.

"Thank you for a great date," you opened your door as you spoke. "Goodnight."

Leonard didn't say anything more to you as you shut the door, you felt bad, of course you did but you just knew that if your interests didn't mix then it wouldn't work.

A couple of days later, you got a text from Penny telling you to meet her at the local comic book shop that was near where you both lived.

It was surprising to know that Penny was in a comic book shop as you didn't know she liked that kind of stuff, but you said you'd meet her anyway.

When you walked in the door, Penny spotted you and came over to you immediately.

"Is everything okay? You don't usually do something this random," you commented causing her to laugh.

She smiled at you as she pulled you by the arm to where four men were standing, rifling through the comic books and having a rather colourful debate over something.

"Leonard?!" you called out in surprise upon noticing the man you'd been on a date with only two days ago.

He looked up in surprise at hearing his name. "Y/N?!"

You smiled slightly sheepishly. "I didn't expect to see you here," but as you spoke it dawned on you why Penny had asked you there so suddenly.

Turning around, you faced her and the look on her face told you that you were right.

"Why did you want me to see him here?" you questioned her.

Before she could reply, Leonard came to stand next to her and smiled at you. "How about I take you for coffee and explain it all?"

You nodded in agreement with him so the two of you left the comic book store to walk to the coffee shop that was down the block.

Once you were both sat down with coffees in hand you looked to Leonard expectantly.

He chuckled a little nervously. "I've met a few of Penny's friends in the past and quite a few of them have been similar to her in terms of being interesting in sports, and they've never quite understood my interests so I told myself that sounding as if I was interested in sports would make girls be more interested in me – at least the ones that Penny set me up with anyway."

You nodded along with his explanation, kind of understanding his reasoning. "I can agree slightly as all the guys Penny has set me up with in the past have been utter brutes that I just couldn't have an intelligent conversation with," you told him causing him to laugh. "So, our conversation last night was very refreshing, despite you sounding so interested in sports."

He smiled at you. "If I'm being honest, I don't have any clue about sports. I read up about them last night to try and seem like I knew what I was on about."

You couldn't help but laugh at his words. "Even though you were completely off base, that's sort of cute."

A slight blush crossed his cheeks. "I was mortified when you told me what you were actually interested in at your door, I was so shocked that I couldn't bring myself to knock on your door to explain it all. And I didn't think that you'd actually believe me."

Smiling, you took a sip of your coffee. "How about we make this a second date then?"

Leonard reached across the table, hesitated slightly but then took a hold of your hand gently.

"I'll take that as a yes?"

He chuckled, nodding in agreement. "Hopefully I can win you over this time."

"Be yourself and I have no doubt about it."

~*~

Written by Hannah.

Tumblr Request