Marshall Eriksen- Friends (c)

How I Met Your Mother One Shot

When you were in university, you had survived your whole time in jogging bottoms and oversized sweatshirts, sticking with your friends watching old reruns and sports games, not caring that your roommate was out getting drunk and being the epitome of girly and beautiful. In your formative years you wouldn't have even wanted to be considered female, rebelling against everything feminine to try and make sure that you were seen as different. You were quite glad to have grown out of that and realised it wasn't wrong to enjoy being feminine, and were able to just like what you wanted, regardless of what other people thought.

Whilst in university, you had become good friends with Marshall but drifted apart when you finished your degrees. You ended up moving to opposite ends of the country but stayed in contact through letters and emails and the odd phone call. That was until you were going to New York for business and made sure you had a spare day to see him in person, a long-waited moment that the two of you looked forward to.

He directed you to MacLaren's Pub where he would meet you for a drink and a catch up, where he would bring his wife Lily who you knew in university but hadn't seen since graduation.

"Y/N?" A man gasped as you walked into the bar.

"Marshall," you smiled.

He didn't look too different, just a bit more aged and far more mature than when you knew him in university. Marshall wrapped his arms around you, glad to see you after so long apart, your friendship surviving for so long even through such a distance.

"What the hell are you wearing?" He chuckled.

Back when you last saw each other, you wouldn't have dreamt of wearing a skirt, but now it was how you felt most comfortable, in something pink and glittery and showed off your legs.

"I'm still the same old Y/N," you smiled. "Just a lot more comfortable in who I really am."

He continued to chuckle, shaking his head. "I thought I was meeting with the woman who could drink me under the table even though she was half my size."

"Don't speak too soon Marshall," you laughed. "I can still hold my drink as good as I did then. Just now a proper lady will be laughing as you cry because you drunk too much."

"I've missed you," he smiled, giving your shoulder a playful slap.

"I've missed you too."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.