Barney Stinson- Change: Part 1 (h)

How I Met Your Mother One Shot

Ever since you were in school, you'd always found it easier to be friends with boys and you'd just had more in common with them.

They were easier to talk to, didn't gossip as much and just didn't take things too personally.

When you'd been introduced to the one and only Barney Stinson, you'd changed your mind about the fact that they didn't gossip – Barney seemed to love it, but it was kind of an endearing quality of his.

As soon as you'd met Barney you had been basically joined at the him, the two of you were just so close and you were basically his wing woman.

Helping him pick up women had never really been a problem for you nor had it been a problem for him to push you towards a guy that you might've had your eye on.

But you couldn't quite get your head around it when it had begun to bother you. For some reason you didn't like the idea of Barney chatting up another girl or for you watch him do it.

And so when Barney had next asked you to go and wing woman him, you'd bailed on him and claimed to be having a girls night with Lily and Robin which then meant you had to frantically call your girl best friends to make sure they were free.

They were confused but still agreed.

"What's going on Y/N?" Lily asked as the three of you sat in her apartment.

You sighed, taking a drink. "I just couldn't face going out with Barney tonight."

Robin looked at you in confused. "But you two always go out together."

Sighing again you saw the realisation cross both of their faces.

"No!" they both yelled at the same time.

They then looked at each other before looking back to you in surprise.

"How did he do it to you?" Lily questioned.

All you could do was shrug in response as you honestly couldn't even tell them when it had all started.

One minute you were quite content to help Barney out and then the next the thought of him chatting up some other girl just didn't sit right with you.

"I don't know Lils, I just don't know what to do about him."

Robin shook her head. "You know it won't end well; you see how he is with everyone else."

"You don't think I know that? God, I set him up with half of those girls."

Unbeknownst to you Barney had come up to the apartment from MacLaren's as he wasn't enjoying his night as much as he usually did when you were there.

He'd stopped just outside the door when he'd heard your voice rather loudly exclaiming the fact that you didn't know what to do about your best friend.

And him claiming to be your best friend became confused.

"It's not as if I can ever even tell him! He's too busy bothering about the girls down in MacLaren's, there's no way he'd even look twice at me – I can't compare to them."

His heart quickened at your words.

You groan of frustration came from through the door. "Who am I even kidding, my crush won't do anything to change how he is. We all know nothing can change how he is."

At those words he finally realised what was going on and needless to say it was a shock to his system.

As he walked home that night, not even considering going back to MacLaren's, he was wondering how he'd manage to win you over.

~*~

Written by Hannah.

Tumblr Request.