Lance Sweets- Sent (h)

Bones One Shot

When you were younger you wouldn't have imagined your job being what it was – you'd always convinced yourself that you'd have some normal job.

As you got to university you decided that you wanted to do something in terms of forensics and crime and all that jazz, so you'd gone through a three-year degree and then a masters degree.

Luckily for you, you'd gotten offered an internship at the Jeffersonian to work with Dr. Brennan and her team.

Two years on from your internship you were still at the Jeffersonian.

You couldn't think of anywhere else you'd rather be – your colleagues might as well have been your family and they were the best people in your life.

Through Brennan and Booth, you'd met Lance Sweets who was an utterly adorable human being and you just couldn't get him out of your head.

Whilst the two of you had never made any advance on being friends, you knew that you had a pretty big crush on him.

You'd taken some time off from the Jeffersonian, non-voluntarily, after one of the killers your team had been investigating turned out to be trying to get to you for some crazy unknown reason.

Booth had therefore taken it upon himself to protect you at all costs which meant you shouldn't come to work, you needed to stay somewhere that wasn't your home in case the killer knew where you lived and someone had to be with you essentially at all times.

It was getting to the point where you were going stir crazy.

Unbeknownst to you, Lance had been driving Booth absolutely crazy with questions about you and Booth had finally cracked by telling Lance that you were staying at Booth's house with him and Parker.

Lance had gotten used to seeing you practically every day when he came in to assist on cases but in that time he'd developed feelings for you – he knew the two of you were close anyway but he did want more than just friendship, and despite being an expert on behaviour he had no clue how to get there with you.

And so, he took it upon himself to go over to Booth's place with some takeout for the both of you.

You were somewhat confused when you heard a knock on the door but breathed a sigh of a relief when you saw Lance through the peephole.

"Hey, you," you greeted when you opened the door.

He smiled and offered the takeout bag to you. "Hello to you too," he responded as you took the takeout bag and he came inside.

Whilst you set out the food on plates Lance made himself at home on the sofa before deciding to find something for you both to watch.

The familiarity of the situation didn't surprise you, it wasn't the first time that Lance had decided to invite himself over for takeout but you only wished it was under better circumstances – and not him just checking up on you with FBI agents on constant lookouts.

"So, which one of my team sent you here to see me?" you questioned with a sigh.

Lance tilted his head in confusion. "None of them sent me, why do you think that?"

You shrugged. "I just figured you've been sent because none of them can come."

"I can't decide to come and see you myself?"

You felt bad when you heard the sadness in Lance's voice, but you couldn't think of why he'd come to see you of his own accord.

Passing Lance his plate, he took it off you to place it back on the coffee table. "I'd like to know why you think someone sent me, and that I didn't choose to visit you."

"You only choose to visit me when you want someone to hang out with," you admitted which made Lance shake his head.

"I come to visit you because I want to see you – I enjoy your company."

You couldn't help but smile at his words. "I appreciate you coming this time more than ever then."

He chuckled, finally taking his own plate. "It's not fair that you're cooped up in here."

"How did you find out that I'm here by the way? Booth was pretty adamant that only him and Brennan knew."

"I may or may not have asked Booth every single time I saw," he told you and the sheepish look on his face made you burst out laughing. "I knew he'd crack eventually, and he did!"

Your laughs eventually died down to just giggling. "God, I bet you were pissing him off."

"It was worth it."

Raising your eyebrows at his words, you posed a silent question.

"All Booth would do is tell me that you're okay and that he had it covered," he told you.

You smiled at him. "Considering I've been living in his house; I'd say he has it covered pretty well."

He sighed. "I needed to see you for my own peace of mind," he admitted quietly. "It was driving me crazy not seeing you every day, I couldn't reassure myself that you were okay."

It wasn't like Lance to spill things so easily; he usually did that to other people. "I never knew seeing me meant that to you."

"Seeing you every day means a lot to me Y/N," he put his plate down yet again so that he could move closer to you. "I like you."

You couldn't necessarily say that you were shocked at the confession, you had liked Lance for a while, but you definitely weren't expecting it from him.

He sighed for the second time when you didn't reply and moved off the sofa too quickly for your liking.

"What're you doing?" you questioned as he grabbed his coat.

"I'm going to leave you be, I've said my peace and as you most likely don't agree with it, it is best for me to leave now."

You rolled your eyes at him. "I thought you were supposed to be able to tell people's behaviour."

As you got up, you made your way towards him.

"I didn't think I'd have to tell you Lance, I thought you already knew."

And with that you went up on your tip toes to kiss him – there was a moment of hesitation, but soon enough he wrapped his arms around you and kissed you like he meant it.

~*~

Written by Hannah.

Tumblr Request.