• markus x reader •

This is set after the peaceful demonstration and Markus has gone back to live with Carl, who he sees as his father and wants to care for him like a son.

Carl Manfred was a close family friend so it wasn't rare for you to visit him often. In fact, you looked forward to seeing him and his android, Markus, who was basically his son. You mostly forgot Markus was an android due to him acting perfectly human and deep down, you had a crush on him. Sometimes, you and Markus would watch Carl paint and give him ideas and inspiration for his next piece of work. Other times, you would accompany Markus and Carl to art exhibitions and art related celebrations. There were the few odd occasions when Leo would suddenly burst in asking Carl for more money and he would question you as to why you were there.

"Don't you have actual human friends?" Leo asked in a mocking way, raising his eyebrows at you.

"Er, yes actually. Carl's my friend. Why do you ask?" You replied, in the same tone he used.

"No, I mean him," Leo pointed at Markus. "Why do you spend so much time with a piece of plastic? What's he got that's so special, huh?"

"That's enough, Leo." Carl said.

"Who I decide to spend my time with is of no concern to you, Leo. Whether they're an android or human, I really could give less fucks. They're both equal as could be, to me." You answered. Leo rolled his eyes and walked off. Little discussions with Leo like this were common and you were used to the taunts.

"That boy." Carl muttered to himself, shaking his head.  Markus smiled.

"You know, it's still taking time for most humans to adjust to androids being treated equally. You're one of the few I know that didn't think much of it. Why? Why are you not bothered by androids?" Markus asked curiously.

You had a good reason as to why you liked androids. That reason was sitting next to you, the one who just asked the question. But you weren't about to let him find that out.

"How are they any different to humans? Sure, they don't have a beating heart or organs or red blood. But they think and act just like humans so why should they be treated any differently?" You replied. Markus admired you and he smiled when you said that. In fact, Markus felt something strange inside of him. Like as if someone had caused his thirium pump to go into overdrive.

That day, you three spent in Carl's house doing a variety of activities. Most of the time was spent watching Carl paint.

"I think that's enough painting for me today." Carl sighed.

"Okay, Carl. What shall we do? We can go for a walk in the park nearby or we can visit an art gallery?" Markus asked.

"No, Markus. You don't always have to do whatever I want. What would you like to do?" Carl replied.

"I don't really know. Since the revolution, I haven't really thought about myself and what I should do with my life. It's like I need a purpose but without being told what to do. If that makes sense." Markus answered, looking at you. You nodded.

For some reason, you seemed to be the only thing in Markus' mind. He couldn't stop thinking about you, especially as you came over more and more often. He had never really met anyone quite like you. You intrigued him and he intrigued you.

"Markus, why don't you paint something?" Carl asked out of the blue.

"Carl, do you remember what happened the last time I painted something?" Markus raised his eyebrows, remembering that morning shortly before he became a deviant.

"I highly doubt Leo will return again." Carl said.

"Yeah, Markus. Paint something. Who knows, maybe you're the next Carl Manfred?" You said, smiling at him which caused his systems to get warmer.

"Well, hopefully not exactly like me. It isn't great being confined to a wheelchair." Carl sighed.

Markus looked at you and nodded. He rose up and brought a new canvas to the easel. Just as he was about to paint, you stopped him.

"Wait, don't paint those objects. Paint something else. Something meaningful to you. Like your favourite person in the world or something." You suggested. Markus looked at you, struggling to compose his thoughts. He wanted to paint you but he didn't know whether you'd be willing to be his muse. Luckily, Carl spoke his thoughts for him.

"Paint Y/N. Let her be your inspiration and your muse." Carl ordered. Markus felt warm again but nodded and proceeded to paint.

You sat in front of him while the canvas was to the side. Markus gazed at you every so often and used delicate strokes on the canvas, making sure not to miss a single detail. He wanted to perfect this painting of you, to make it as perfect as he thought you were.

"Finished." Markus said. You stood up and looked at the canvas. Your mouth hung open as you realised it was a carbon copy of you. As if he'd taken a photograph.

"Magnificent. You didn't miss out a single thing. Excuse me for a moment. I'll be back." Carl said and wheeled himself out before Markus could say anything.

"Wow, Markus. You're really good. How did you manage to make me look better than I normally look?" You asked.

Markus frowned. "You already look good, Y/N. I just copied it exactly, I didn't change a single thing. I made sure not to miss out a single detail."

"I'm just amazed." You said, speechless.

"I made sure not to miss out a single detail of those beautiful E/C eyes. As well as the way they lit up whenever you saw something you liked. The way they would reflect whatever was in front or the way they would gaze in amazement. I also didn't miss out the beaming smile you had or the way your face brightened up. Overall, I didn't miss out the sheer perfection of the way you look. You're very beautiful, Y/N." Markus explained. This time, his thirium pump was almost out of control and he was certain he'd shut down somehow. What was this strange thing he felt?

You blushed and smiled at him shyly.

"Thank you. I also think you're a very handsome person. If I was good at painting, I would've painted you. I'll just get Carl to do it." You said, not realising you'd called him handsome.

"You think I'm handsome?" Markus asked. You felt your cheeks heat up.

"Well, yes. In every way possible in terms of appearance. And also in personality. I have never met someone as courageous and as kind as you, nor have I met someone as funny and compassionate as you. You really are an amazing being." You confessed.

Markus stepped closer to you and you looked up into his green eye and his blue eye.

"So are you, Y/N. I have never met a human that had all the good qualities a person could ever want. I really, really admire you." Markus said.

"I like you too. A lot." You laughed. He leaned down to your lips without knowing what he was doing but just before he could go further, Carl returned.

"I leave for five minutes and this is what happens." Carl scoffed. But he smiled proudly afterwards.