• gavin x reader •

Although I'm not particularly a fan of his character, I thought it might be fun to write about Gavin for a change lmao

People often wonder how I managed to capture the (rumoured to be non existent) heart of Gavin Reed, especially when he always said a relationship wasn't on the cards for him. People often wonder how I put up with his cold, obnoxious nature and his apparent dislike for anyone who ever existed.

But when he's with me, he's a totally different person. That cold, obnoxious nature turned into a warmer, loving nature. He seemed more enthusiastic about life and the possibilities it could bring. Despite Gavin often giving off the impression that he cared about no one but himself, I can see that it was just a mask. A mask to cover up the fact that he did care for people, me being one of them.

It all started on the day I began working in the DPD as a trainee police officer. As n none of the other experienced officers were available, Gavin was tasked with training me and overseeing my progress. At first, I wholeheartedly disliked him because of the way he'd talk to me. Later, I would then discover that he only was rude because he wanted to deny his feelings for me.

"Ugh, yes I guess I like you, Y/N. There I said it, you happy now?" Gavin sighed at me. However, I misinterpreted him foolishly.

"Great! Guess that means we can be friends now, which makes yours and my job a whole lot easier." I said slightly too enthusiastically. I noticed Gavin rolling his eyes and maybe even a smirk appearing on his lips.

"No, no. I mean I-I like like you. You know, like like? Forget it." Gavin said, his smirk growing wider. It took a few minutes for it to actually register in my mind.

So the surly detective liked me after all? More than I thought he was capable of, apparently.

"Oh." Is all I managed to say, my cheeks growing warmer.

"That's it? Nothing to say?" Gavin questioned me.

"If this isn't a joke, which I certainly hope it isn't, then I guess I like like you too. I like like you a lot." I replied sheepishly. Gavin fully smiled at me now.

"I swear this is not a joke, at all. I would never ever prank you. You're the only person I know that hasn't made me want to annoy them." Gavin answered.

"Wow. Thanks. I feel more better about myself now." I chuckled.

It was from there that our relationship grew from strength to strength, beginning with an awkward first date in which a fight broke out in the restaurant we ate at and Gavin had to go break it up - ending up with a broken nose in the process. But we both laughed it off and decided we did want to keep seeing each other, even if he ended up with a broken nose each time.

"This may sound stupid coming from me, but I'd take a broken nose for you any day, Y/N." Gavin looked down and smiled. Stuff like this was uncommon for him to say but it warmed my heart even more than it was already warmed.

Each day at work, he'd turn up with a smile rather than a scowl. Instead of looking at his computer files, Gavin would gaze at me instead sometimes.

"Is there something on my face?" I asked.

"No, no. I'm just taking in how beautiful you are. I like looking at beautiful things, Y/N." Gavin replied, winking.

"Take a picture. It'll last longer," I replied jokingly. Gavin pulled his phone out. "No, I didn't mean literally! I look like I got run over by a truck, my god."

"No you absolutely do not. I never lie, Y/N, so believe me when I say you're beautiful. More beautiful than anything in this entire universe."

It was little things like that he did which showed me how I'd managed to capture his full, undivided attention every day. If someone ever talked to me in a slightly aggressive tone, Gavin was sure to reprimand them for it. Sometimes, he'd even get jealous if I talked to any other male except him. But he wasn't obsessive jealous, which I liked. He didn't interfere, unless he really needed to.

Day by day, he demonstrated the extent of his 'like like' for me. The phrase 'like like' had become a part of both our vocabulary as a joke and we'd say it whenever we said goodbye. In a way, it was a replacement for the more common 'I love you'.

Until he replaced 'I like like you' with those three words, eight letters. One day, when I helped him on a particularly tense case and a criminal had managed to slip past. Gavin was annoyed with himself  for failing to catch them. I kept trying to reassure him that it didn't mean he was a bad cop, that mistakes happen.

"They always manage to get away. Maybe I'm not good enough. I never was, was I? That's why Hank was promoted as Lieutenant and not me. That's why everyone looks down on me. Perhaps I'm just not cut out for it. I'm not cut out or deserving of anything including you." Gavin said, running a hand through his hair.

"Don't ever say that again, please. Don't you know how positively wrong you are? You are most definitely cut out for it, in fact you're too good. You're the best cop I've ever had the privilege of witnessing, let alone get to work with. And you're also the best person I've ever had the luck to fall in love with." I said, placing a hand on his shoulder. He looked up at me with a sad look in his eyes.

"You really mean that, Y/N?" He asked.

"Of course I do, why would I lie?" I answered.

"You're an angel, Y/N. How I got so lucky to end up with you, I have no idea. Look, I don't say these kind of things often. But, I'll say it to you and you only. You have my heart, Y/N and I love you." Gavin said, smiling at me.

"I love you too." I replied and pulled him into a hug.

It became no secret that Gavin and I were in it for the long haul and soon enough, everyone at the station began to find out. They were ecstatic to see Gavin in a more jovial and light mood and they thanked me for whatever spell I managed to put on him.

Finally, the epitome of my happiness was reached on the day of my promotion to an official police officer. Gavin congratulated me endlessly, saying how much I deserved it and that I would be the best officer around. As a joke, he said that I was going to become his competition for who the best officer was.

I thanked him repeatedly for teaching and leading me and he told me to think nothing of it, and that it was his job.

"It's also now my job to love you as much as you deserve." Gavin said, as we sat outside on the grassy field of a nearby park, watching the sun set.

"It's also my job to do that to you too." I replied.

"Which leads me to this. Y/N, as I always say, you captured my heart and you showed me a better, brighter world. From this day on, I never want to be parted from you, I always want to keep seeing a bright world with you. Will you do me the honour of marrying me, Y/N L/N?" Gavin said, pulling out a sparkly diamond ring.

"Y-Yes!," I stuttered, overcome with shock and happiness. "I will." He slipped the ring on my finger and we embraced.

If I could freeze a single moment in my life and live in it forever, it would be that moment.