43.

Maddie's POV

He makes me cry. I look up over to the clock on the nightstand beside me and notice the time.

5:10a.m

I've been crying for one hour. One hour straight. I pull my phone up and prop it up against the clock facing it towards me.

My eyes are red and puffy from watching him sleep. It's the best thing in the world though. I wouldn't even care if I looked ugly or stupid. Watching him is a blessing.

He's so baby. I hate it too though. I hate that Zach called me in the first place. I hate that I made him drink. I haven't ever seen Daniel drunk since the night he kissed me for the first time.

I pull the white covers up right over my nose resting under my eyes as I stare at him. I could look at him forever.

The teal beanie on his head fell off thirty minutes ago when he turned around and then turned back around. I've been awake for an hour crying staring at this man I've loved ever since I was in high school.

I can't help the little sob that falls from my lips. I bite down on my lip to stop the trembling but soon enough his eyes flicker open quickly.

"Maddie?" He rasps and my insides begin to melt making me look like a huge mess with white cheeks hiding under these white covers, "why are you crying?"

I wipe my eyes lightly with my hands and keep the covers up to cover half of my face. He makes me so soft.

"It's nothing, go back to sleep please," I beg as I try and hope he does as I close my own. I peek my right eye open noticing both of his blue ocean ones are open.

"You can tell me anything, Maddie?" Daniel asks and both of my eyes open then closed as tears fall down both my left and right cheek.

"I know I just-

"I wish I could kiss you," He interrupts me trying to speak. This is happening again...no. Damn it no this can't happen.

"Daniel I have to go," I say but he argues.

"Maddie just tell me why you were crying and then you can hang up all you want. I care about you even if you aren't mine," Daniel looks at me putting his beanie on again as he lays down on his pillow holding him up with his elbows.

"I, you just...you're just really peaceful and cute when you sleep, it's calming and makes me want to cry." I wipe my tears turning to the clock, then back to Daniel who's shaking his head.

"What?" I question tilting my head to the side at him through the phone.

"Pretty girl, I haven't slept every since you left and now that I know you watched me sleep and didn't sleep with me, it's your turn." Daniel looks at me as I sit there still confused.

"You need to sleep, don't hang up on me babe cause I'm gonna make sure you sleep," Daniel says as I look back to the clock.

"I have to get ready at six-thirty," I softly speak and Daniel nods.

"I'll take as many times as I can get watching you sleep baby," my heart races at the pet name that he still calls me even though we aren't together.

It's a bit awkward still but some part of me is still letting it happen. I know I'm not going to be his yet. I'm not ready for this break to end. I've got a long way to go with it.

"I love you," Daniel says and I nod resting back down on the pillow and letting sleep take over me again.

Daniel's POV