Chapter 40:

Author's Notes:
(Alright, hear me out! Ignore the part where I said Imma post every 5 days blah blah blah, last chapter. I just realised something and so I decided to change my schedule. From now on, I will do my best to write as quickly as possible for every chapter. Why? Because due to a certain circumstances, in 1 month time I won't be able to and won't have time to write. So that's why I want to finish this arc as fast as possible. I don't want my story to suddenly stop halfway. You readers will hate me. I mean I can definitely understand that feeling of not being able to know what happens next. It's relatable. Therefore, wish me luck and my brainstorming skills to finish this arc as quickly as possible. Because the things I still need to show and introduce in this arc isn't declining. Much character interaction and story progression to be told! 😂)

After leaving the slave auction place, Shin and Layla headed to a nearby clothing shop. Luckily the shop was still opened despite it being late.

Shin gave Layla the permission to choose any clothes she wanted. At first she had her doubts as to why Shin was being so considerate of her. Throughout her life as a slave, she had never been given any nice clothes to wear. All she wore was the normal slave one piece cloth.

Not wanting to think too much of it, she did as told. She walked around the shop looking at all the clothes displayed. While she was doing so, Shin just stood at the entrance while watching Layla. Layla ignored him and decided on the clothes she wanted.

It was a lovely dress. It had frills on the heim of the skirt, as well as on the end of the short sleeves. The design was simple. With light blue as the base colour, and white stripes design. A cute ribbon was attached near the waist.

Her reason for choosing this was because she was familiar with it. This was the kind of dress that she loved to wear when she was at the demon lord's castle as the princess. The colour was also her favourite.

"That's a really nice choice. You look even cuter in it." <Shin>

Shin complimented her.

"Whatever. I don't really care about your opinions." <Layla>

Layla replied honestly.

"Unfortunate. Too bad you're not as good looking as Shana & Iris~" <Shin>

"Shana? Iris? Who're they? You're telling me they're more beautiful than me?" <Layla>

"You'll meet them soon enough, kukuku..." <Shin>

Since Layla claims herself to be beautiful, she was quite upset when she heard she wasn't. Even more, was that Shin said there were two girls who were even more beautiful than her. All this time she was alive, she had never seen someone more beautiful than her. Even the times when she was the princess, she received a lot of praise and compliments for her looks. With no proof so far, she just took those words as just Shin teasing her.

After walking for quite some time, they arrived at a quiet part of the park in the commoners estate. Due to it being in the commoners estate, the park wasn't well kept. The place was very messy and unclean. Luckily they found a clean spot under the only lightpost that was working. A bench was conveniently placed there as well.

Shin sat down first. Layla who was following behind did not copy and sit, but instead she remained standing and demanded Shin to finally tell her.

"We're alone now, so isn't it about time? Tell me who you are already! Do I know you?" <Layla>

Shin didn't immediately reply. Instead he looked at Layla's serious face. After 10 seconds, he finally spoke.

"No. You don't know me. And I don't know you either. This is our first meeting." <Shin>