3. Knight in Shining Armor

Naruto had started to believe that everything would be alright. He didn't deal with as many physical symptoms; other than some fainting that occurred occasionally and the usual chest discomfort. He was happy to be back to school. Yes, he indeed was happy. That meant he would be seeing Sasuke more and the thought alone made him feel excited.

"Tadaima!" he heard his mother's loving voice and he peeked from the kitchen.

"Okaeri, Kaasan" he smiled. She had seen her boy transform back to his old self; to some extent. However, a mother always worries about her child. He gave her a warm hug, it was something he hadn't done for what seemed to be ages. She had longed to it.

"Did something happen while I was away?"

"Am I not allowed to miss my mother?" he asked and Kushina hit him in the head for a smart remark. He apologized and she stopped remembering how Minato would have interfered to calm her down. "I made your favourite" He held her hand with both his and excitedly pulled her in for dinner. 'she came just in time' he thought to himself.

Kushina almost tripped as he hadn't given her time to collect herself. She gracefully caught up to him and saw the salt ramen on the table. It was her favourite, but she loved it even more when Naruto would make it. The first time he made it for her, he was ten and it was for her birthday.

"Thank you Naruto-Kun" her eyes glistened and she kissed her son's cheek, seemingly proud of him

"Thank you Naruto-Kun" her eyes glistened and she kissed her son's cheek, seemingly proud of him. They sat down together head to head and enjoyed dinner. She couldn't remember when the last time she enjoyed dinner without worry was. It didn't matter; before her sat her one of a kind hyperactive kid. Her hand travelled to the necklace Naruto gave her. She always has Minato with her. He's with her, even though not physically.

"Naruto-Kun, thank you for letting me be your mother." She smiled at him, he always found it odd when she said that. He never really understood what she meant by that. She gave him life; he didn't really choose to be born to her and Minato. But he couldn't have asked for better parents.

He blushed at her words, "I should be thanking you for being the greatest mother in the world" he cleared his throat and Kushina chuckled at the evident shyness in her son. He was thankful, 'she hadn't noticed, yet'.

She was rushed to get rest. Naruto cleaned up the mess, casually talking to his dog. When she woke up the following day; he had prepared both breakfast and lunch for her. She noticed his cheeks were unusually red but mistook it for being embarrassed by her compliments. In reality, Naruto got himself sick and had been trying to keep it away from her, knowing she would overreact.

It was his second return day to school, he got dressed and left. He walked to school. He was the only one walking, the spring breeze carrying the bittersweet smell of cherry blossom trees. He saw a familiar figure walking the same uphill path to their school.
"Sasuke-Kun" he called excitedly running over to his classmate "good morning!" he chirped.