5. Mixed Signals

Naruto spent the night at his grandparents in complete discomfort. They were still mere strangers to him, so he couldn't feel comfortable enough to fall asleep.

The sun arose and so did he, promptly going to the en-suite bathroom and taking a long shower. Hot water poured over his body, steam filled the atmosphere and his mind yet again, blank. He oddly liked it better than when he'd overthink. He liked it better than having any sort of unwanted thought.

His cheeks were red, not because he had just taken a hot shower but because his temperature sparked up. He gotten dressed inside and carried a small towel drying his hair with it. Leaving it in its usual mess.

"Naruto-kun, breakfast is ready." His grandmother walked in with no regard to his personal space. "Ah, you're read-...still sick?"

"Ha, I forgot my meds at home" he admitted, he was in a trance yesterday. He's surprised he hadn't forgotten more than that.

"We'll get them on our way ok?"

"Actually, I was thinking of going now? I want to see Kaasan"

She looked at him, heartbroken but she nodded and allowed him to leave.

He said nothing but a distant thank you as he took his stuff and left. Tsunade had hoped he wouldn't act so strange but that was to be expected.

Naruto thanked the driver as he got home and walked in, he took his meds and got Kitsune out for a morning walk before he kissed her and left.

Another quiet walk to school. Nothing but the sound of leaves rattling and the birds chirping here and there. Not a single soul walked in front of him.

A hand crept up behind him and as it landed on his shoulder. Naruto jolted backwards only to see a shocked Sasuke.
"It's just me, dummy"

"Sorry, I'm a bit...jumpy after yesterday" Naruto confessed.

"I called your name like five times. Thought you had earphones on" he raised an eyebrow "what lame thoughts were you abusing your poor brain with?" He teased.

"Sorry, Teme." He forced a smile without putting effort into it. It resulted in an awkward look that pained Sasuke to witness.

"Is it about yesterday?"

"Yeah, I'm worried about you" Naruto easily admitted.

"Well you don't need to."

"Just because you say it doesn't mean I won't, Teme. I like you, Sasuke. You're different, dattebayo?"

The raven teen stopped dead in place. Didn't he hear those exact same words come out of Naruto's mouth before?
"Like me?"

"Ha...I don't know how to explain it. I just like you, 'ttebayo?" he shrugged. "Does it...make you uncomfortable?"

"No, I'm just...I guess taken by surprise?" He voiced uncertainty clear in his tone. "You're always so forward and crude. It's odd"

"Is that a bad thing?"

"No, I guess it's... refreshing" he looked away hiding his smile "you're going to have to be more specific though." He cleared his throat when he saw the dumb look on Naruto's face. "Guys can like each other romantically, Usuratonkachi" he shed light and saw as Naruto's eyes widened slightly before going back to normal.

"Ha, they do..." The blond all of a sudden felt nervous. What was he going to say just see if Sasuke liked him back at all. He opened his mouth to speak and his prayers were answered when a certain Hyūga joined them.

"Naruto-kun" she small smiled and bowed to them both. "I wanted to thank you for yesterday."

"My pleasure, Hinata-chan." He smiled sheepishly, her face instantly flushing.