24. Loneliness

In his bedroom, in the arms and warmth of his lover was Itachi. He was peacefully asleep until his phone rang. His first thought was who would call him on summer vacation at 6 in the morning.

"Hello?" He groaned sitting up, still half asleep. The words that followed on the other end woke him up immediately. "What did you say?!"

The tone change was alarming to the man that laid beside him.
"I'll be there in fifteen minutes" Itachi got out of bed as he asked what hospital soon Kakashi followed as well.

"Itachi, what is it?"

"Sasuke....Sasuke...he- w-w-was hit by a c-c-car.." he stuttered due to the tears forming in his eyes.

"I'll get dressed, we'll go together" Kakashi slipped on his clothes pretty fast, something he learned to do during the time their relationship was kept a secret.

Itachi's mind was a mess, his brother had just turned eighteen yesterday. His brother had just asked Naruto's hand in marriage. His brother had studies, his whole life ahead of him.

Whatever Kakashi was telling him on their drive to the hospital Itachi didn't hear. It was quiet, he couldn't hear his boyfriend's voice, nor the voice of the roaring car engine.

It was even worse after they have arrived. Seeing the state of his baby brother was shocking enough. Kakashi held him as he wept. Comforted him, reassured him that the teen would get through.

During the second hour of surgery, Naruto was in front of the two adults holding his son in arms. His eyes red and puffed. He had a bad feeling that morning when he woke up. Then Tazuna was at his front door telling him his fiancé was in a bad car accident.

It took two hours of contacting clinics and hospitals to finally have a confirmation of where he was. "Sasuke-...where is he?"

"Still in surgery." Kakashi got him to sit down. "I'll get you some water"

Sora was still half asleep and a bit confused at what was going on, he just laid his head on his dad's chest. The erratic heartbeats of his father were normal for the baby, after all since he was born he was hearing the beats of that messed up heart. Beats that calmed him and sent him straight back to sleep.

Twelve hours into surgery the waiting room was mostly Sasuke and Naruto's friends and family. Sora was in his grandmother's arms playing a little. Occasionally checking if his dad was still sitting where he had left him.

The doctor came out, he removed his glasses.
"He's stable..." He took a deep breath "but he's in a coma...the head trauma was the second worst injury he had. He was bleeding internally when he was brought in but we managed to get it under control. We don't know when he will wake up...if he will wake up."

Shikamaru being the closest to Naruto was standing right next to him when he noticed the body sway momentarily. For the past twelve hours Naruto kept insisting he was alright. His heart worked overtime, frantically beating as he thought of every possible worst case scenario.

Hearing those words from the doctor sent his heart overboard.
"I don't-..." He didn't finish his sentence collapsing right after.

Shikamaru wrapped his arms around him quick feeling Naruto's weight. He placed his two fingers on the teen's neck, he had already foreseen this happening.

🍥🍥🍥

Naruto could only cope with his loneliness in one way; working. Shisui often came to visit him to make sure he was alright. But it took him two months after the accident to open up to Shisui.