7. The Breaking Point

A month had gone by since that incident. Things have relatively been quiet but Naruto sensed Sasuke's wariness of him. He didn't know why Sasuke was distancing himself; Sasuke thought his act was all too perfect to be found out.

Granted, ever since that day. Naruto was more appreciated by the fan-girls. Not all of them, but a handful of them. He, after all, saved the most important person in the school. It made Sasuke doubt whether Naruto had done this for popularity.

The boy was the most famous kenshi, yes. But he also was resented and people made sure he knew they didn't like him. He was attacked in his first day in school, only to be attacked on the a day after his return. But all that he was dealing with lately was being shoved every once in a while.

I mean the first time he was dealing with withdrawals, it's not like he suffered any grave injury. The second time he was not even harmed. And the third time he only had a cut on his hand, from 'not being careful enough'. My brother and I could have been killed but instead we get out of it with minimum injuries. He is the only one who had been in my house. So it all makes sense, if he is playing this game for the sake of popularity; I better be careful.

It didn't matter how much that small voice yelled at him for being wrong, he believed otherwise.
Naruto had new friends. Sasuke didn't know that Naruto had managed to earn his new friends. They were people he stood up for while they were being bullied. They were ex-bullies whom he showed the right path.

Soon, Naruto was nicknamed Sunshine. Sasuke was no longer concerned about the boy's depressed state. He didn't seem to be needing any help.

Sasuke couldn't deny it, that when he wasn't thinking about the accident; he was having fun with Naruto. The boy was gifted, he had the gift of washing other people's sadness and sorrow. If only Naruto could do the same for himself.

Naruto kept his sadness to himself. He only cried when he was with Kitsune; coping with his sadness with painting. His grandparents gifted him a set after they saw his sketches.

They told him he was good at it and he accepted the compliment with burned cheeks.

The bell rang and Naruto was joined by Hinata, his girlfriend (as far as Sasuke thought).
"Sasuke, I brought you lunch today" Naruto gave his signature smile but Sasuke remained indifferent.

"I'll pass" he took his bag and walked away; out of the classroom. The blond's smile left his face slowly, it didn't matter how hard he tried. Sasuke was pushing him away.

"Did something happen, Naruto-kun?"

"Not that I know, he's been acting weird lately" he placed the bento box on Sasuke's desk. He clammed his hand on his chest at the sudden pain.

"Naruto-kun..." She walked closer to him and helped him sit down. She handed him a bottle of water.

"Thank you, Hinata-chan" he small smiled, taking the meds he was stuck with after his heart attack. It was the truth he told her and Hiashi, who after finding out, came to visit daily. He still was not used to seeing Hinata's worried face.

Hinata was concerned he would get a second one. She did not know why he had one in the first place. They weren't dating, though she wished they were. but at least Naruto was very comfortable around her. He treated her like a little sister even though she was older than him.