38. Selflessness

Namikaze Naruto's new home was full of loud noises. The maids have been watching the famous duo argue for fifteen minutes straight.

When the noise got louder on the outside he rushed to peak out the windows.
"It's Naruto"

It was the same noise that woke the blond in the car.
"We're home...almost" Shikamaru informed. "Sora is fast asleep"

"He had fun" he smiled closing his eyes again.

"We all had fun" Shikamaru restated.

Naruto got out of the car half asleep and got his baby in the seat.

"You got him?" Shikamaru asked.

"Yeah, always" he smiled and walked up the stairs up the stairs from his garage to the house.

The door swung open and he was face to face with teary obsidian eyes.
"Naruto-..."

"Ah Sasuke...can we talk in the morning? I'm tired"

"Yes...tomorrow...okay" he repeated, his eyes calming a bit. he reached in to hold Sora but Naruto moved him away.

"I can do it myself" he replied subconsciously. Naruto liked doing those little things, they made him feel useful. It made him feel like he wasn't slowly losing himself to his illness.

Yet in Sasuke's mind, Naruto had said that because he no longer considered him Sora's father.

Naruto walked to his son's bedroom in silence. He got wet wipes removing the paint off his son's face gently. He changed him to more comfortable clothes and tucked him in bed. He washed his own face and got out.

He was heading to his own bedroom when Sāra walked to him.
"Naruto, can we talk? I...won't be here tomorrow"

"Okay, come on in" he gave up, opened the bedroom door and walked after her closing it.
He plopped on his bed "I'm tired"

"Sasuke and I... we're over..."

The man sat up "what?!"

"The night I was drunk...you told me you two were engaged...Sasuke had never mentioned it...to this day...even now... If he had moved on he'd have told me. But he still loves you...I've seen the way he looks at you when you are around. How he gets all excited when you text him. Those little things I can't have with him. Sasuke is yours Naruto. He had always been yours. I know you said...uhm. something about not having enough time...I'm sorry..please just take advantage of the time that you do have."

"Sāra..."

"Thank you for letting me be a part of Sasuke-kun life. For giving him up for me but I can't look at him without seeing how I'm just the second best he could get" she bowed to Naruto and left immediately.

"Sāra...please wait..." Naruto followed but she was quicker.

Sasuke watched her leave too. He had been trying to get her to calm down. But she only asked him to say one thing. Sasuke said everything except that.

"Sasuke...go after her. Don't let her go" Naruto looked at him desperate.
He wanted to be the one Sasuke held on to but that was the most selfish thing he could want.
"I clarified....she didn't cheat on you-.."

"I know"

"Then why are you-...."

"Sāra asked me to say I didn't love you..."

The blond froze understanding that what Sasuke had just implied was that he still loved him.

"You should have said it. It's not too late just go tell her. Because I'm not taking you back." Naruto forced himself to look at the man he loved right in the eyes "I don't love you anymore"