25. Help

No one had ever hit Gaara that way. Sure he got mistreated, a lot by his uncle and then by those he worked under when he refused to do their bidding.

But the way Naruto hit him was almost playful, friendly even. So he couldn't be angry, he couldn't fake it even if his life depended on it.
"D-do don't lie" he pointed an accusing finger at the blond "saw you drink all those pills, dumbass"

Naruto sighed and rubbed the centre of his forehead "I have a medical condition, 'ttebayo?"

"And I'm the Kazegake of Sunagakure" he sarcastically replied.

"Just come in" Naruto picked up his son and lead the way. Gaara removed his worn out shoes and hesitantly got inside.

"Tea or coffee?"

"Coffee" Gaara replied, he sure as hell won't be sleeping tonight since he has nowhere to and a boost of caffeine would go a long way.

"So what do you do since you got no school?" Naruto asked as he went to the open kitchen and started making the redhead a cup of coffee.

"Trying to start fresh... Desperately. How are you so good at martial arts?"

"I'm the world champion, 'ttebayo? Well technically I was....I resigned. I take it you like it bitter" Naruto guessed correctly as the teen with the mean look just nodded. Naruto served him the black liquid.

"Thanks" he held it in his hands. When was the last time he sat like this and enjoyed a cup of coffee?

"So...who did you grow up with?"

"My uncle, he-..." The boy took a deep breath and sighed "he's the one who sent those men after me yesterday."

"You're gonna have to tell me everything if you want me to help you. I'd hate to play a game of Sherlock Holmes"

"I never asked for your help" Gaara barked.

"You said you're trying desperately. That means it is something you can't do alone. I think you're smart enough to realize that 'ttebayo?"

"Whatever.." he sighed. "My uncle took me in because no one in our family wanted me. Kankuro decided to stay with because Temari asked him to. She didn't really want to go with them but I'm glad she did. He was not nice, not as nice as he let other people think he was. We were nothing but able bodies. I've been pretty much selling drugs for him since then." He took a sip basking in the silence of the kitchen. He almost thought he was all by himself in there.
"When I was thirteen, my brother said we were going to run away. On the night of our attempt, the guards shot him on the spot. I was-.." his voice quivered remembering how Kankuro's eyes were void of all emotions, suffocating on his own blood.

"I think...that's enough for one day Gaara" the blond had held his hand, a warmth unprecedented to the Suna citizen.

"Everyone I love just dies right in front of me....because of me...I'm cursed..." He broke down and then arms pulled him in for a hug. Even Sora who was afraid of the stranger was wiping the tears of the man. He hated seeing people sad, everyone should just be happy. It was that simple for the baby, after all he had not a single worry in life.

"I'm sorry, Gaara for all your losses. Temari never said-..."

"She doesn't know....last time we saw each other was just before that happened."

Naruto bit his lip nervously, how was he going to break down these news to his friend.
"Is he just after you because you don't wanna work for him?"

"He says I owe him money...money he spent to raise my brother and I....bunch of bullshit."

"We'll find a solution, 'ttebayo?" He gave him another hug "for now, go ahead and take a shower. You can use the room to the right at the end of the hall. It's empty"