Chapter 38

"Are you sure about this ?", Taylor asked for the thousandth time. "Yeah Taylor. I'm fine", I said. I was not. Yeah, I know, big surprise there. How could I be 'fine' when I know what's waiting for me at school. It's been two days since I went to the police. Ryan was no where to be found and mom was talking to lawyers for him. Dad was going through a rough time. He was stuck between me and mom. I knew mom had called me last night, I listened in. They were arguing. Their marriage was wreaked. Mom had threatened him with divorce.  Dad was living with us for a while. He had taken a leave from his office. I looked over at Taylor. He didn't show it, but I knew this was bothering him too. There were dark circles under his eyes. His hair and clothes were slightly disheveled. He looked tired. Everyone in our house looked tired. 

           "We're here", Taylor said, breaking my train of thoughts. I looked over at my school. I was terrified of stepping in there. I knew I had to do it someday, better get done with it today. Charlotte had a meeting with the club she joined, so I was alone. Luckily, I could see Jacob waiting for me at the entrance.  He was there for me through all this shit. Visiting me after school and calling me to ask me how I'm doing. I remembered the last talk we had. "I know this is hard Angel, but trust me, we'll get through it together. I'm proud of you, everyone is", he had said.

          "We can still turn back if you want to", I heard Taylor say. I shook my head, "No. I'm going. I'm fine",  I wasn't sure if I convincing him or myself. I looked at him. He gave me smile before hugging me tightly. "You can do this", he whispered in my ear. I smiled. I got of the car and waved a goodbye to him.  I started walking towards Jacob, who was messing around with his phone, and hadn't noticed me yet. A proud smile spread across his face he noticed me. "You came", he said. The happiness and encouragement on his face made me smile. 

          I was becoming aware of the number of eyes on me. Anxiety set in, and I began panicking . Jacob realized this, "Don't pay attention to them. They're just curious".  I nodded. Jacob led me towards my locker. I heard a few 'whispers' about me and the cops, but I tried to ignore them. I took the books from my locker and we headed to Jacob's locker. I noticed all my friends standing near his locker. I tensed up. What were they thinking. I knew that Charlotte told them everything. She had asked me before she did.

           "Um...hey guys", Jacob said, as we neared them. They turned around. I didn't dare move, neither did they. We stared at each other. Finally, Janise embraced me in a tight hug. I instantly hugged her back. I could feel all the worry and pain she was feeling. We pulled away and I saw the tears in her eyes. , "Why didn't you tell me ? I could have been there for you", she said. "You're here now", I said.  People were staring at us and some were laughing. It didn't matter. "You're really brave Lis", she said, smiling. Brenda was standing there, looking at feet. "I'm sorry Lisa. I was being a bitch to you this whole time". I smiled at her, "Water under the bridge Brenda.  We're friends now". She didn't look convinced. "Guys, I know we got to do this sentimental thing, but we're getting late for our classes", Scott said. I looked around to find the hallway empty. We looked at each other for a minute, before sprinting to our classes.

*****************************************************************************

          I entered the cafeteria with Janise . The day was good. Of course there were some whispers and rumours, but if you take that out of the picture, it was a good day. Mainly because I was with my friends. I bumped into Blake earlier this morning. I expected some smug comment from him , but to my complete surprise, he didn't even look at me. Thanks to a rumour involving me and a murder. The things I've heard are, I murdered someone, I was a drug addict, I had someone captive in my basement, I was a gang member, and that I was a child murderer who used the blood of the children to make me beautiful. I rolled my eyes at them, especially the last one. 

          I knew people were staring at me and I was feeling anxious too. But I knew I could't let them get to me. I put on a brave face, "Stop fucking staring at me. If you want an autograph, just ask", I said. People immediately took their eyes of me. I could see some of them giving me a smile, I returned their smiles. I took a seat on our table. "That was awesome", Scott said. I grinned, "I know". I saw a hand sneaking towards Scott's food. "Don't touch my sandwich Janise", Scott said, slapping her hand away. She pouted, giving him the famous puppy eyes. They had a staring competition. Scott finally rolled his eyes and gave her half of his sandwich I smiled at them. I didn't know what I was worried about. This day was going well.

**************************************************************

          I spoke too soon. I looked at the sticky notes stuck on my locker, words like 'murderer',  'prostitute' and 'junkie' were scribbled across them. I sighed, controlling my anger and tears. I won't give them the satisfaction they want. 'Which one is it ?', said a sticky note stuck in the middle. I, Brenda and Jacob, removed all the sticky notes except that one. I took out a pen and wrote down, "None you little shitfaces", below the question with a heart and smiley face. I didn't fail to notice the curious stares I was getting. People were actually standing in the hallway, waiting for my reaction. Jacob and Brenda leaned closer to look at what I've written, and a smile spread across their faces. As I walked to my next class with Brenda, I noticed people walking over to my locker. I smirked to myself. Then I remembered that I had a class to attend.

          We walked to our next class, which was history, as fast as we could. As we entered the class, Mr. Paul, our teacher, gave us a suspicious look. "Ms. Maiden and Ms. Anderson, may I know what took you so long ?", he asked. "You may not", Brenda said, earning her a few laughs and a glare from Mr. Paul. "Someone decided it was a good idea to cover my locker with sticky notes. Brenda was helping me clean it up", I said. I said. He raised an eyebrow, "Don't you want to issue a complaint about it ?". I shrug, trying to appear nonchalant, "I would've if I cared enough. I'm not bothered about a few insecure people whose lives are so boring that they need to bully someone else to get some thrill in their life". Of course that wasn't the truth and I wanted to yell and scream at those who did it. Mr. Paul seemed puzzled, but satisfied by the answer and let me and Brenda have a seat. As the lecture continued on, all I could think about was how many of these pranks are going to happen, and how long would it take me to finally break.

************************************************************************************

Author's Note :

Hey guys !!!

So I don't know the exact laws, and everything I wrote and will write is based on what I read on google. I'm sorry if any of it is wrong, and you can point it out to me if you see any errors.

Anyways, if you like the chapter, don't forget to

Vote &

Comment.

Lots of love.