Chapter 39

"How was your day ?", dad asked. "It went well", I replied, plopping down on the couch Dad seemed a little uncomfortable. "What ?", I asked. "Huh?", he looked at me. "You clearly want to say something dad. What is it ?", I said. He sighed, "I got a call from your principal today". My eyebrows furrowed in irritation, "What ? Why ? And they didn't bother talking to the student first ?". I could feel a headache, as my mouth twisted itself into a frown. He gave me a glance, "They wanted to know why the police came investigating that day. The cops didn't give out any information. They said if this case was going to be a problem to the school they'd have to expel you". I took a sharp breath in, "So you told them ?", I asked. I felt Charlotte's hand on my shoulder, trying to comfort me. "I had to",  dad whispered. "Everyone is going to know now", I said, more to myself.

             I felt a growing headache and groaned. I need some fresh air. "I'm going for a walk at the park nearby", I said, standing up. "I'll come with you", Dad said. "No. I'm fine", I said, walking towards the door. "Either I'm coming with you, or you aren't going", he said with a stern expression. I gave him an irritated look back, "Dad, it's just a walk. I'll be back in an hour or so". My anger was boiling now, and I was ready to go on a rant. "Mr. Maiden, it's fine. Lisa can handle herself", Charlotte said, a concerned expression on her face. "Exactly, I'm not a child dad. You need to calm down", I said, I was loosing my patience. "Well don't come crying to me again if someone hurts you", he yelled, it was clear that he was exhausted and wasn't thinking clearly, but that didn't help. I heard a gasp come from a wide eyed Charlotte. I took a sharp breath, trying to hold the harsh words in. A look of realization passed across his face as he calmed down, but it was too late. 

           I got out of the house and slammed the door, not giving him the time to explain. I called Janise. "Hey. What's up ?", Janise said as she picked up the call. "Hey, Can you meet me in the park near my house ?", I said. "Sure, is everything alright ?". I sighed, "I just had a little fight with dad", I said. "Give me fifteen minutes, I'll be there", she said and ended the call. My thoughts wandered to Jacob, I wondered how he keeps himself sane. He was going through his own problems. He had a trial at the end of this month. He acted as though he didn't care, but the bags under his eyes were telling a different story. His mom had called me yesterday and we had had a long talk. She was worried about Jacob, and so was I. She told me how she was grateful that I was in Jacob's life. She knew how difficult this was, and advised me to stay safe and strong. 

           "Lisa", I heard Charlotte's voice. I turned around to see Charlotte running towards me. She reached me and stopped, hand on her knees, trying to catch her breath. "Woah, calm down", I said. "He.... He didn't mean it", she said between deep breaths, "He was just.........just concerned for you". I smiled sadly, "I know. Did he send you to be my bodyguard or something ?". She straightened up, "No. Well yes, but I also wanted to know how you're doing". I gave her a nod, "Me and Janise are meeting at the park. Want to join in ?". She nodded, "Sure". It was clear to me, if there was no one for me, my friends will always be there for me.

***********************************************************************************

          "Where is she ?", Charlotte asked, handing me my ice cream. I shrugged , "I don't know. She told me she'll be here in fifteen minutes". We've been waiting for Janise and she wasn't here. "Why don't you call her ?", Charlotte asked. "Because the phone is in my back pocket", I said. "And....?", Charlotte said, her eyebrows raised. "And I'm too lazy to get it out", I shrugged. Charlotte shrugged and sat down beside me on the grass.

           We were silently eating our ice cream when I heard someone talk about me, "Isn't that Lisa Maiden ?". I rolled my eyes and didn't even bother to turn around, Charlotte however did turn around and gave them an irritated look. That didn't seem to affect them though, as they continued to talk, "I heard she murdered someone", another voice said.  I almost laughed at that. "No idiot, that's just a rumour. I know why the cops were there, I heard the teachers talking about it", the first voice said. I rolled my eyes and prepared myself for another rumour. "The principal was talking to the teacher in his office, when I opened the door a little", the boy whispered. , "Apparently, her brother fucked her". It felt like my heart had stopped beating as I took in the harsh words. The guy, unaware of my reaction, continued, "The Principal wanted the teachers to treat her with care and not hurt her emotions or some shit. It looked like the teachers didn't believe it. They-". "Get the fuck away", Charlotte said, interrupting the guy. Her face was red with anger.

          I turned around to see two guys, probably in their sophomore year. They had a frown on their faces. "Why ? We are just talking", the first guy said. "No, you're not. You're gossiping about someone you don't even fucking know, and it is offensive. So you either get away from us, or shut up", Charlotte said, she sounded like she was trying to control herself. "Is it true ? Did she really-", the other one started, but was again interrupted by Charlotte. "I think you didn't hear me. I said, get away or shut the fuck up", she said slowly. One of them rolled his eyes and pulled the other one away. Charlotte turned to me, "Are you alright ?", she asked. I shook my head, I was feeling disgusted.  "Oh Lisa, come here", Charlotte said, pulling me into her arms. I hugged her back. In my shock, I didn't realize that tears were rolling down my cheeks. "I didn't do anything Charlotte. I- I swear it was-", I couldn't complete my sentence because of all the crying I was doing. "I know Lisa, you don't need to explain anything to anyone. It's fine", she said, rubbing my back. A memory of Ryan came to my mind and I couldn't stop my tears. I cried and cried. Janise finally arrived, Brenda was trying to catch up to her. Her face morphed into one of shock , and then pure horror as she saw the scene in front of her.  I was now laying on the grass, my head in Charlotte's lap. I was bawling my eyes out while Charlotte was trying to comfort me. 

          People passing us were giving us weird, sympathetic and irritated looks. Janise and Brenda helped us up, and we left the park. We got into Janise's car. Brenda reached out and held my hand tightly. I heard Janise speak from the front seat of the car, "Hey, listen. We're here for you alright ? Cry your fucking heart out. It's fine, just let it out. We're here for you". And that's exactly what I did.

          As I calmed down, Brenda started to talk, "Lisa, you're strong, and I mean it. You're really strong. You can do this. I know you can't just ignore everyone, but don't believe them. Ryan is an asshole and he deserves punishment, and you are the one that is going to fight against him. These people talking about you ? They don't matter. They just want to gossip. Don't let them get to you". I nodded, wiping my tears. I was right, my friends will always be there for me.

**************************************************************************************

Author's Note :

Thank you for being patient. I am dealing with social anxiety, and body image issues and was just too sad to do anything. 

Anyway, tell me your theories about what should happen next, and maybe I will include them in the story. Again, thank you for being patient.

If you liked this chapter, don't forget to 

Vote &

Comment.

This chapter is dedicated to @RakshaRao654. Thank you for reaching out to me.