Chapter 40

The next few days were hell for me. There was no sign of Ryan. People didn't know where he disappeared to, or rather didn't want to tell on him because of his 'good guy' image. Mom had got the media involved. She had told the reporters that I was some kind of an evil bitch who was jealous that her older brother had everything, and decided to attack him. When dad had read the report, he almost stormed out of the house in anger, but I stopped him. I knew if I tried to talk to her without a lawyer or witness present, mom would probably make a big deal out of it and feed the story to the media. We had to be careful. Me and my dad had made up with a crying fest after I reached home that day. The tension was still there, but we were fine. School was hell too. Some people gave me kind and sympathetic smiles, but some decided to be absolute assholes. I was lucky to have my friends by my side. They always arrived before me and checked my locker for some stupid pranks, and if there was something there, they'd clean it up. They thought that that I was oblivious and didn't know this, but I did. 

          A hate page was made just for me, and Ryan's friends and colleagues posted about how he was such a nice guy , and how he'd never do it. His ex-girlfriends told everyone that I was lying. It hurt, and it felt like I had no one with me. I constantly reminded myself that it wasn't true, that I had a lot of support. I had Jacob, Janise, Charlotte, Scott, and Brenda, and most importantly, I had Dad and Taylor. That's what mattered. The people who have a role to play in my life are with me. Taylor had found a new therapist for me. She was completely different from the first one. She was actually helping me with everything. 

          Me and Charlotte got out of the car, and stepped into the school. Some people stared at me. I know I should be used to it by now, but it made me feel uncomfortable. I saw Jacob standing by my locker. He looked exhausted. People knew about his dad too, but because Jacob was a golden boy, people believed him. There were some jerks who gave him a hard time, but nothing like me. Jacob smiled at me, as he saw me coming. He hugged me and planted a kiss on my cheek. My lips curved into a smile too. "I love you", he whispered. I gave him a shocked look. I mean, we knew we love each other, but we rarely said it out loud. He chuckled at my shocked face, "You looked like you needed it". My smile widened and my I turned red, "I love you too". I heard a groan from behind Jacob. "Seriously guys ?", Scott said, "You need to stop being so whipped, it's annoying", he pulled a face at us. I rolled my eyes, "Oh please, you're just jealous that you don't have a girlfriend". He stuck his tongue out at me. I pulled a face back at him. "Yeah, real mature guys", we heard Brenda's voice as she walked towards us. Scott and I looked at each other, before sticking our tongue out at her. Charlotte and Jacob chuckled. Brenda tried to look annoyed , but the smile on her face betrayed her.  

****************************************************************************************

          The day dragged on as usual. For some reason, I had a bad feeling about today, but I brushed it off, thinking I was being paranoid. A little advice for you guys, never ignore your gut feeling. NEVER. "Hey", I greeted Jacob. Jacob gave me a smile, "Hey. You're leaving ?", he asked. "Yeah. Do your best alright ? I'll be coming", I said. He nodded. He was staying back for his art exhibition, which was next week. The school held an art exhibition every year for the students. They were having a meeting today to talk about it. I gave him a quick kiss on his cheek. "Take care", he said. "You too", I said before leaving. Charlotte was staying at school for the same meeting. They had decided that I don't need to wait  for Charlotte because Jacob can give her a ride home.

          I hummed a song as I walked to the parking lot. The hallways were almost completely empty. I was late because the Principal had called me in his office to talk. I had prepared myself for some trash talk, and possible expulsion. But, to my surprise, Mr. Kirk was really nice to me. He understood what was happening and told me that he would be available if I had any problems with the students or teachers. He also apologized for the various rumours. Although it wasn't his fault and he probably didn't even know how the story had spread. I had thanked him as I left the office. It felt great to receive support.