Epilogue

I've always wondered how it would feel like when Ryan was convicted. Would it be worth all the hardships I had faced standing up to him? I was petrified. Would the jury and judges believe me? I admit I even thought of backing out. I thought of withdrawing the complaints, denying all of this ever happened. Especially after seeing the hateful expression on my mother's face on the day of the trials.

              She had told me, with her venom filled voice, that I would regret this and that she was going to disown me. This, obviously didn't affect me, seeing that she wasn't really a good mother in the first place. She kept saying the same thing again and again. Ryan was the innocent victim and I was the jealous, attention seeking bitch. I would be lying if I say it didn't hurt. Even though I wasn't close to her, hearing something like that over and over makes you believe it. Thankfully, I had my family with me. Everyone from Dad to my attorney was extremely helpful.

          Ryan had plead guilty. I was left shocked. I found out later that dad had something to do with it. He had visited Ryan a day before the trial. Even though Ryan plead guilty, he didn't look remorseful at all. In fact, he had a tiny smirk on his face. I almost threw up because of the disgust. When he was convicted, I felt happy. I cried and cried, happiness taking over my senses. I felt free. It felt like a huge weight was lifted off of my shoulders. It's been a year since the day Ryan tried to stab me. Today was the day of Ryan's sentencing. He got twenty years in prison.

          I glanced at the dress laying on my bed. I felt the soft fabric of the dress. It was a pastel blue dress, simple but beautiful. My dad had gifted it to me on my birthday. I changed into the dress and looked at myself in the mirror, starting on my makeup. Dad had organized a small gathering for me. Lana, my attorney, was also invited. Lana was beautiful. She was a strong powerful woman. She seemed like family now. And looking at the way her and dad exchange loving glances, the day she becomes a part of my family is not far away. Lana and Dad had grown closer to each other. Spending more and more time with each other outside the case. Dad asked me if I'm okay with him asking her out on a date. I was happy he found someone. I know I've known Lana for only over a year, but she has became a mother figure in my life. Her daughter, Katie, was 14 years old. She is a gem.

          Mom and Dad's relationship was completely destroyed by the time the trial had started. Mom had filed for a divorce after a month after that night. Dad tried to seem nonchalant, but it was easy to look past his facade. And even if he keeps denying it for the rest of his life, I know that Ryan's conviction was a bittersweet moment for him. He was happy that I was getting my justice, but I also knew he felt hurt that he had to see his own son going to jail. He felt guilty for what happened to me. He had once told me he felt that he had failed as a father. "I didn't even have a clue about what you were going through. Sometimes I feel like I didn't raise Ryan right. I..... I feel like I failed as a father", he had said. The moment I heard that, I knew that I wasn't the only one needing help. I and Taylor had forced him to go for therapy. He was in a much better state now.

          A knock on my door broke my train of thought. "Come in", I called  out. I was trying to make my bun look more sleek and less messy. Taylor poked his head in, "It's not your wedding Lis. No one cares how you look. I'm hungry. We can't start eating unless you arrive downstairs", he whined. I stuck my tongue out at him, leading him to roll his eyes at me. "Seriously, you look good. Let's go. Everyone's waiting". I smiled, throwing myself a last glance in the mirror. When I walked downstairs, Jacob was the first on to notice me. He gave me a quick kiss, "You look beautiful". I kissed his cheek, "And you look handsome". I returned his cheeky smile. Taylor groaned out loud,  then pretended to gag. Jerk.

          I looked around the room. Everyone who mattered was present there. My eyes found Melissa, who was laughing at something Katie had said. She looked a lot better than she did a year ago. Her eyes now had a happy glint in them. Jacob and her were now closer than ever. Because of the video she had recorded and the scars on both her and Jacob's body, John was convicted on charges of domestic violence and child abuse. Unfortunately, because there wasn't much evidence that he had a role to play in his daughter's death, he was acquitted of the murder charges. Jacob and Melissa were distraught. Melissa is a fucking badass, and so she managed to pull through the hard times.