Chapter 44

Lisa's POV :

             I heard a tune being hummed, but it sounded far away. Am I sleeping ? I thought to myself. I felt a wave of pain go through the right side of my body as I tried to move. Groaning, I tried to open my eyes, only to be hit by the harsh white light. A strange smell filled my nose. When I was finally able to focus my vision, I realized that I was in a hospital. And as I regained complete consciousness, the events of last night flashed in my mind. I looked around the room, only to find Taylor intently looking at me. He waved three fingers in front of my face, "Can you see how many fingers I'm holding up ?". I slap his hand away. "Stop being an idiot. Shouldn't you call the nurse or something ?", I said, my voice sounding groggy and tired to my own ears. He frowned, "I'm in the middle of a game", he said, pointing to his phone. I gave him an incredulous look. He rolled his eyes and pointed at something near my bed, "Press the call button". I did just as he instructed, and within 10 minutes, a middle aged lady entered the room. She gave Taylor a judgemental look, which he was too busy to notice.

          With a kind smile, she asked me a couple of questions. She informed me about all the things I should, and shouldn't do. She also told me I had to stay in the hospital for 3 days to make sure everything is fine. I thanked her as she  left. "Taylor", I called out. He raised his eyebrows, eyes still glued to his phone. "What happened to Ryan ?", I asked. He froze, his body a little tense. He kept his phone aside. He let out a sigh before speaking, "After Charlotte screamed, I was able to restrain him. Charlotte called 911, who instructed her what to do. Ryan was arrested by the cops. They filed an attempted murder charge on him. He'll be in jail until the trial. You don't need to worry about him anymore". I smiled slightly, "Thank you Taylor". He smiled back. I felt a pang of satisfaction as I realized that Ryan's going to get what he deserved.

*******************************************************************

           "Do you know what I'm wearing", Jacob asked, a huge grin on his face. I looked him up and down. "Clothes?", I asked, raising an eyebrow. "The smile you gave me", he said, winking at me. I let out a laugh, "You're really cheesy today". He gave me an alluring smile, "That's because I love you". I giggled. "I was so worried", he said, gently touching my cheek. I took his hand in mine, "I'm okay now". He gave me a quick kiss, "I know". I smiled at him. "Mom was about to visit you today, but she has a cold. She'll probably come to visit you tomorrow", he said. "How is she ?", I asked. He smiled, "She's good, she looks so happy. She still is traumatized, but Grandma moved in with us. So they're trying to rekindle their relationship. John didn't let her talk to Grandma or Grandpa. Even when Grandpa passed away, he didn't let her stay. He said they were trying to take his family away from him", he seemed lost in thought. Before I could stop myself, I spoke up, "John is an asshole". I was angry that he ruined a perfectly happy family. I was so angry that he stole Jacob's sister from him. "That he is", Jacob said.

          "Is this the first time you're meeting her ?", I asked. "My grandma ?", he continued when I nodded, "No I've met her before. Mom used to take her to their house when John used to go out for trips with his friends. I remember my grandma making cookies for me and my sister. Grandpa used to tell us scary stories and urban legends. I used to be so scared that I could never sleep alone and always ran to my mothers room at night", he chuckled."My sister was brave though, she used to tease me for it. I used to call her twetty, that was her favourite character. She was my hero, I always looked up to her. She was the exact opposite of me. He was always defending me. I miss her", his eyes were moist with tears. My heart ached for him. His childhood was ruined because of that worthless piece of shit. I gave Jacob a side hug, which he returned, making sure not to disturb my other arm.

          "Is this you trying to convince me to get you better food ?", I heard him say. I chuckled, "Maybe". His chest rumbled as he laughed, "You know, we never got to go on that date". I nodded, "Maybe we can go after I get out of here". He pulled away, "Or we can do it tomorrow", he said. "Jacob,  I'm going to be here for two more days", I said. He nodded, "I know. But we don't have to go out for a date. Remember our first date? I can bring in food and my laptop and we can watch movies". I gave him a smile, "The hospital isn't going to let you bring in food". He grinned, "They will if I hide it well enough". I chuckled, "When did you become a rebel ?". He kissed my cheek, "I guess you're rubbing off on me". I looked at his face, the smile I've gotten to love was there on his face. I smiled as myself flush under his gaze, "Guess I am".