𝐓𝐰𝐨

02 | Z A C K

I lifted the cover of my textbook but the lack of comprehension of the tiny words had me shutting it.

Mrs. Miller, our literature teacher, left to get some group project lists she forgot in her office. Finding the opportunity, the class were trying to turn it into a gossip period.

My friends made their own chat group a table away from me, conversing nonstop about unnecessary stuff. I wasn't concentrating on what they were arguing about though. Instead, my mind was occupied with the text message that I received the day before. I tried to reason with myself on who could do such a thing but came up with nothing.

My attention shifted back to my friends as they talk. I suspected they were pranking me but then there wasn't the normal playful glints I notice in their eyes whenever they are up to something.

"Zack, why are you so quiet? What's going on?" Maya's brows rose up in question. Damn. I forgot my sister's blessed with hawk eyes.

"Just wondering what's taking Mrs Miller so long." Forcing a smile, I began to tap the pen I was holding against my desk. Maya's eyes narrowed when she noticed the nervous gesture but said nothing.

Mrs. Miller stormed inside the class, cutting off the murmurings. Following close behind her was Jenna Coleman.

All the thoughts in my mind rushed out the minute she stepped inside the class. She ambled in as her long, high ponytail swung from side to side. Her round glasses made her look both sophisticated and adorable. My eyes were automatically drawn to her beautiful face, an innocent smile like a delicate flower plastered on her lips.

Jenna easily lightened a mood in a dark room with just her genuine smile. It was hard not to like her. She was sweet, witty and quite ambitious. Her emotions were not easily hidden on her innocent face and her big brown eyes always showed her soul. She always find the silverlining in everything she does and it was really refreshing.

"Thank you, Miss Coleman. I really appreciate your help," Mrs Miller said, smiling at the kind angel. Jenna had always been the teacher's favourite. They loved her and appreciated her efforts in assisting them. It was an instinct of hers to help them after school and on other occasions even helped tutor her classmates or juniors. She was precious, with a heart made of gold.

"You're welcome, Mrs Miller," Jenna replied with a sweet smile, before making her way back to her seat.

I quickly glanced over at her from the corner of my eyes. With legs crossed and fingers intertwined on her desk, she leaned forward and watched Mrs. Miller who was sorting out some papers. My eyes were glued to her every move. I didn't miss any of the little wiggles and smiles she made.

"So kids..." Mrs. Miller began to say.

She pushed her square glasses down her nose, cleared her voice before finally fixing her eyes back on the papers she was holding.

"I'm going to swap your partners today. I've observed and noticed a positive change in the past two months. This is a new month and like I mentioned, I'll swap your partners after the midterm. This will be your respective groups until the end of the semester." Mrs. Miller had adapted this policy of swapping students twice a semester. In her opinion, it helped the students learn to cooperate with each other and work as a team. I didn't really pay any attention when she started listing the pairs until she called my name.

"Zack Alan Hudson paired with Jenna Coleman..."

I blinked several times to try to get myself out of my imaginations. But it wasn't an imagination, it was in fact a reality which meant I'll talk to the girl I was smitten by for the first time. That's a lot to take in.